Books and shit

Let me tell you about my Doctor Who/Adventure Time crossover AU highschool fanfiction
Jagged Z

Re: Books and shit

Post by Jagged Z »

I read Ready Player One about a year ago. It's definitely worth a read if you're a fan of stuff from the 80s since the book makes so many references to the time period while still holding a solid plot of its own.
I've been reading Orson Scott Card's Pathfinder series. It's a really interesting time travel/sci-fi series that embraces the paradoxes associated with time travel. The plot can get a little hard to follow at times, but that's understandable as the characters are usually as confused as the reader is.

Terraem
sideburn king

Post by Terraem »

I finally got around to finishing the third book in the Gentleman Bastards series, Republic of Thieves, and it certainly delivers more of what the series has been giving so far. I'm wary of what the author will do to prevent the series from getting stale, but I'd definitely recommend it for people enjoying fast paced shenanigans involving "common" thieves in a magical world.

The most disappointing thing about Ready Played One is that the movie hasn't casted Wil Wheaton.
Why Would You Do That?!
Skypuh: Same as username!

Shoolis

Post by Shoolis »

I've been trying to finish book 5 of Wheel of Time for a while but video games, man
This is for you King Ghidorah....

Sarducar

Post by Sarducar »

I read the first book of the gentleman bastard series, thanks to joh, and it's been really good so far. I love when a book really gets a setting and this one has a wonderful immersive on.
sic itur ad astra

Kira

Post by Kira »

Discworld is great!

Current progress
4/41

Exeres
Master of Puppets

also i need this vr shit like now

Post by Exeres »

I started Ready Player One. Aech was just introduced.

Don't tell me whether I'm right or wrong, but I'm just going to guess right now that Aech is going to end up being Halliday, who uploaded his mind into OASIS before his death. Aech's personality doesn't mesh with the given biography of Halliday, but I'm willing to bet that he is more open and social in virtual reality than in real life. What sold me was that he simply refers to himself as H, and that Wade said he seems to spend all his time in OASIS.

Finished. I couldn't have been more wrong. Feel free to laugh in my dumb face.
The A in this case stands for Armageddon. As in, Armageddon a boner because this plane has a fucking HOWITZER sticking out of it.

Kira

Post by Kira »

Discworld progress: 23/41

Time to take a break and start American Gods. My friend won't stop with how amazing it is.

Exeres
Master of Puppets

let's go and find the edge

Post by Exeres »

I read The Gunslinger, which made me want to read The Stand, so now I'm 13% through it. It's interesting, but this setup is taking FOREVER.

Good fucking grief, twenty days to finish this geography textbook disguised as a fantasy novel. I loved it, though. Time to get back to work on The Dark Tower.

One last word on The Stand, though: Reading about Harold throughout the story, beginning to end, hurts me personally.
The A in this case stands for Armageddon. As in, Armageddon a boner because this plane has a fucking HOWITZER sticking out of it.

Exeres
Master of Puppets

also does anyone even read this thread

Post by Exeres »

I'm just starting the fifth book of the Dark Tower series, Wolves of the Calla. Every book so far has been better than the last, and I don't know how the last one is going to be topped.

I think I've spoiled myself, going straight for the pillar of King's work.

Syobon
+4 to defense

Post by Syobon »

I read this thread

I should probably read books instead of forum threads though.

The Nightman
Not actually a granny

Post by The Nightman »

^Same. I haven't read a book in over 6 months, but I've read all kinds of useless shit on reddit and unfunny waste of space, time and resources on here.

My copy of Wheel of Time is just sitting here gathering dust.
[Citation Needed] wrote:I am the most least quotable person.

Exeres
Master of Puppets

all i know is it has vampires

Post by Exeres »

Okay so I have to pause on Wolves of the Calla because the prologue introduced a character from 'Salem's Lot, so now I have to read that.

The Nightman
Not actually a granny

Post by The Nightman »

I've read Salem's Lot before. I honestly thought it was one of King's weakest works out of the ones I've read. Basically just a more modern setting Dracula. It wasn't bad by any means, but it was forgettable. It's a fairly quick read though, at least.

I actually haven't read the Dark Tower series. I should get on that eventually.

Exeres
Master of Puppets

wolves and shit

Post by Exeres »

Funny, King said it was one of his favorites, and was planning on maybe doing a sequel but apparently, whatever he wrote in Wolves of the Calla and Song of Susannah, the next two Dark Tower books, worked well enough that he thought a sequel would be unnecessary.

I'm looking forward to it all in any case.

The Nightman
Not actually a granny

Post by The Nightman »

Eh, maybe it was just because I was getting burnt out on King at the time. It was a couple years ago when I read it, and I decided before that to read all the Stephen King books that my school's library had. It was the last one I read before I stopped. My biggest gripe about it was that none of the characters had much depth besides the main character, and one other one. Still though, it wasn't a bad book by any means.

My favorite King book is The Shining. And my least favorite is the sequel to it, Doctor Sleep.