MSPA Thread: HAMSTEAK

Let me tell you about my Doctor Who/Adventure Time crossover AU highschool fanfiction
Cori
jackie chan jackie chan jackie chan jackie chan jackie chan

Re: let's start a massive merch drive in the middle of this

Post by Cori »

Exeres wrote:
Cori wrote:Read Prequel
Oh man, if schedule issues are a turn-off, this is a terrible suggestion.

[8:18:42 AM] Joh Terraem: Cori, I've always found your encyclopedic knowledge of dicks to be quite charming and repulsive at the same time

Turbro
Master of Seduction

Re: MSPA Thread: HAMSTEAK

Post by Turbro »

The current nine month merchandising pause is killer.

Cori

Post by Cori »

Yeah. Kazerad's comic is fun to read, but you can tell he's not experienced with this kind of ordeal.
[8:18:42 AM] Joh Terraem: Cori, I've always found your encyclopedic knowledge of dicks to be quite charming and repulsive at the same time

Vax
who

Post by Vax »

Gunnerkrigg+Unsounded OP
Or, y'know, whatever.

Turbro
Master of Seduction

Post by Turbro »

Okay I'm pretty sure I figured out how to reconcile the broken timeline regarding Caliborn's claymation and the ending.

Timelines in Homestuck fall into two categories, the alpha timelines and the beta timelines. Beta timelines are offshoots of alpha timelines that end when their usefulness to the alpha is up, taking any living people in them with it and not sending them to dreambubbles (hence why John and Co. needed to escape before the scratch finished and why Meenah had to kill her friends; and why Davesprite's timeline persisted until the second he traveled back in time)
What the Scratch does is make a new timeline, make that one the alpha, and then end the old alpha (now a beta) when it's finished.
So, you'd think that would make the kid's universe have 2 alphas, right? The first being the pre-scratch timeline, the second being post-scratch. But Meenah fucked that up. She got the ring of life, then her Sylph of Light powers turned the beta she had just created into the new alpha, causing Game Over and forcing John to Retcon it.

This brings us to a total of four alphas:

1) Pre-scratch universe B
2) Post-scratch universe B
3) Game Over
4) RetJohn and Finale

Timeline 2 is what we were following in act 6 right up until Aranea, and all future events we saw before her influence occurred in that one. This INCLUDES the creation of Universe C (For clarification in this post, the universe made in act 7 is Universe D), the birth of Caliborn, and his SBURB session. Which also includes Caliborn's claymation masterpiece depicting the defeat of the kids, and the "filling" of Lil Cal's previously empty husk. The Juju was hidden away in the Furthest Ring (which is unaffected by alpha timeline changes) and Cal was thrown into the Void for Gamzee to summon into Dave's dream room. This marked the end of Timeline 2's relevance to the alpha timeline (now timeline 4) which is where it ended.
The reason that the kids were in the juju in the Act 7 animation, but also managed to beat the game without going anywhere NEAR Lord English or Caliborn was because they happened in different timelines.

Basically it goes

Timeline 2: All of B2 up until Aranea nabs the life ring -> Aranea does NOT nab the life ring -> Kids win and make Universe C -> Caliborn plays SBURB -> Kids attack Caliborn -> Juju/Cal bullshit
Timeline 3: All of B2 up until Aranea nabs the life ring -> Aranea nabs the life ring -> GAME OVER -> F1X TH1S
Timeline 4: All of B2 up until the confrontation in Derse jail -> Roxy, Davesprite, John die -> Everyone arrives and wins the game. Aranea never grabs the life ring to begin with

Also, personal theory on how LE was defeated, the kids were sucked into the Juju in timeline 2, and LE was also sucked into it during Act 7 as the kids enter their universe.

Cori

Post by Cori »

Also consider how the ending animation looks kind of like getting the Good End of a video game without seeing the neutral run. The characters' messing with the jujus and their retcons and the meta basically 'cheated' the game to give them the best ending, the one where nothing went wrong for them.

It helps to remember how important meta actually is for Homestuck. The webcomic considered the mspaintadventures website, the comic itself, and the story within the comic as all belonging to the same collection of universes. They are all part of 'Homestuck'. That's why Caliborn was able to knock the website around when he smashed the comic panels with his crowbar. That's why when he crammed sparkledust into the Homestuck game cartridge, the comic and website began to glitch. That's why when Caliborn killed Hussie in the comic, he was able to take control of the website and start re-writing the story and uploading his own art.

And maybe then, when the door to the new universe opened, the characters used it to escape Homestuck--the website and the game and the comic. They no longer had to follow their script and finish the plot.

I think one of the people in the link I posted earlier sums it up almost perfectly: "the curtain falls and the lights go out not because we actually reached the end of the play, but because the actors found the exit door backstage. and also, probably, the theater’s on fire."

DieHard

Post by DieHard »

I am just going to ignore every speculation because every single one I have ever heard since I started reading this web comic was never right
[img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x211/T_BOHNE003/huwoahuhai7.gif[/img]

Cori

Post by Cori »

Then I'm going to ignore your posts in this thread!--But I'm going to declare that I'm ignoring your posts so that you're aware that I'm ignoring your posts. I don't want my act of ignoring your posts to be ignored.

DieHard

Post by DieHard »

Whoa man you need to chill, relax yourself with some of that wicked elixir you know what I am sayin'?
[img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x211/T_BOHNE003/huwoahuhai7.gif[/img]

Blitz Walrus
Heavyweight Champion of the Forum

Post by Blitz Walrus »

So I'm rereading the 'Steak, cuz I never got much farther than Caliborn's intro and figured might as well go for the whole shebang. One thing I've noticed in my short jaunt, has anyone in fiction ever fucked up as bad as Vriska?

Galaxy Man

Post by Galaxy Man »

Blitz Walrus wrote:So I'm rereading the 'Steak, cuz I never got much farther than Caliborn's intro and figured might as well go for the whole shebang. One thing I've noticed in my short jaunt, has anyone in fiction ever fucked up as bad as Vriska?
if you wanna get technical, vriska never fucked anything up. most of what she does before act 6 is because she knows it's gonna happen already, and just wants to have a hand in it. which both means it will happen and they're not doomed to the wrong timeline, and means she has an actual effect on the world. she doesn't actively change many events, she just wants to be important.
^it's a tumblr link oh geez^
oh man is this a steam profile

Turbro
Master of Seduction

Post by Turbro »

I mean yes if you look at it from the standpoint of "it was fated to happen therefore it must happen" she did nothing wrong. If you look at it from as linear a standpoint as possible, Vriska fucked up so hard she accidentally destroyed a universe or two.

Spoiler for Blitz: Granted, Aranea fucked up even worse because what she did WASN'T fated to happen, and she's lucky that John was there.

Galaxy Man

Post by Galaxy Man »

yeah but saying "look at homestuck in as linear a fashion as you can" is like saying "well if you flip the couch over and ignore the fact that it's a couch, it could probably be considered a TV."
^it's a tumblr link oh geez^
oh man is this a steam profile

forgottenKinsman

Post by forgottenKinsman »

And just like that I've automatically found my home here. I just finished re-reading this behemoth in anticipation for the 4/13 Act 7 bombshell but I guess I missed that mark by a fair bit. At any rate I have feels to share.

First and foremost, John x Roxy is my OTP and you can't convince me otherwise. Next, all the conversations and get-togethers leading up to [S] Collide are adorable. [S] Kool-aid itself made me grin like an idiot because of how utterly video-gamey it was with all the sprites battling around and I loved it. Finally, as with any good emotionally-investing piece of media, the fact that it is now over is marginally depressing and is leaving a homestuck-shaped hole in my homestuck-shaped heart.

Which is why I've found myself here.

Wesley Foxx

Post by Wesley Foxx »

forgottenKinsman wrote:And just like that I've automatically found my home here. I just finished re-reading this behemoth in anticipation for the 4/13 Act 7 bombshell but I guess I missed that mark by a fair bit. At any rate I have feels to share.

First and foremost, John x Roxy is my OTP and you can't convince me otherwise. Next, all the conversations and get-togethers leading up to [S] Collide are adorable. [S] Kool-aid itself made me grin like an idiot because of how utterly video-gamey it was with all the sprites battling around and I loved it. Finally, as with any good emotionally-investing piece of media, the fact that it is now over is marginally depressing and is leaving a homestuck-shaped hole in my homestuck-shaped heart.

Which is why I've found myself here.
In lieu of the actual MSPA forums coming back, there is also this.