MSPA Thread: HAMSTEAK

Let me tell you about my Doctor Who/Adventure Time crossover AU highschool fanfiction
Wesley Foxx

Re: MSPA Thread: HAMSTEAK

Post by Wesley Foxx »

Probably something to do with the fact that he's been promising to bring the story to a climax at exactly 7 years since all the way back when it became clear it would have 7 acts.

Which resulted in everything being kind of rushed towards the end. Which makes it all the more unsatisfying because if the various pauses showed anything it's that people were generally willing to wait until it was ready.

Rinoko
Shipping Guru

Post by Rinoko »

Are you fucking kidding me

That was it?

Giant Gigapause just for that?
[Citation Needed] wrote:your superinsulatory properties have always been a founding tenet of our friendship

Exeres
Master of Puppets

i feel nothing therefore i win

Post by Exeres »

Thank god I dropped out of this emotionally back when all the hiatuses and PAUSEs were going on. Sounds like a shitshow.
The A in this case stands for Armageddon. As in, Armageddon a boner because this plane has a fucking HOWITZER sticking out of it.

Galaxy Man

Post by Galaxy Man »

you all know this is par for the course, right

problem sleuth did the same thing. it had it's ending, and then he put in an epilogue that cleared everything up. when he says "ending", he usually means "the actual plot is over but i'll clear up other shit later"
^it's a tumblr link oh geez^
oh man is this a steam profile

Wesley Foxx

Post by Wesley Foxx »

Uh, nah, man, nah.

This is like if Problem Sleuth ended with someone getting the Megaton Key before they'd actually killed DMK and they got out of their office and that was it. And we never got to see him actually use Sepuchritude.

DieHard

Post by DieHard »

Wesley Foxx wrote:Probably something to do with the fact that he's been promising to bring the story to a climax at exactly 7 years since all the way back when it became clear it would have 7 acts.

Which resulted in everything being kind of rushed towards the end. Which makes it all the more unsatisfying because if the various pauses showed anything it's that people were generally willing to wait until it was ready.
But he stated that he had the ending in mind for 4 years. The only reason why it took so long is because of Hivebent and the ensuing legal battle that followed, it shows that he had the ending planned because it was probably the ONLY thing he ever planned for in this comic.
Galaxy Man wrote:you all know this is par for the course, right

problem sleuth did the same thing. it had it's ending, and then he put in an epilogue that cleared everything up. when he says "ending", he usually means "the actual plot is over but i'll clear up other shit later"
Yes but with Problem Sleuth, that was never the case. I didn't have to wait 7 years just to be told I have to wait even LONGER to get the closure. With Problem Sleuth it took 6 days, I guarantee it won't be put out as fast as that and will probably go on for another year.
[img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x211/T_BOHNE003/huwoahuhai7.gif[/img]

Exeres
Master of Puppets

and then five years later a new compilation album

Post by Exeres »

Made a single change to my EPIC-NOT-EPIC HOMESTUCK SHITLIST PLAYLIST now that it's over.

Click the gif in my signature and find it.
The A in this case stands for Armageddon. As in, Armageddon a boner because this plane has a fucking HOWITZER sticking out of it.

Cori
jackie chan jackie chan jackie chan jackie chan jackie chan

Post by Cori »

You kids are being really entitled/ungrateful/unappreciative/whiny about something you're getting for free--not counting cheddar you gave Hussie VOLUNTARILY. Yeah, the ending is a little confusing. I have a few questions about it too. But Homestuck has NEVER been completely straightforward about what was taking place in it. How many of you understood exactly what was happening in Homestuck at all times?

But you don't have the right to get ANGRY at someone who has been working almost NON-STOP on this story of his, this vision that he's been trying to bring to fruition over all the roadbumps and stumbling blocks. Hussie's schedule was insane--he basically woke up, ate, and then drew all day. Trying to get this finished for you readers. He's devoted seven years of his life to this behemoth that you're all taking for granted right now.

What the fuck did you think that gigapause was about? Did you think he was just sitting on a beach sipping a martini and wondering how to troll all of the people who constantly have their eyes on him? No!! He was trying to fix something that wasn't even his fault. The Odd Gentleman took those kickstarter funds and used it to make their OWN games, and all they did for Hivebent was make a sub-par walk cycle. Hussie turned What Pumpkin into a dev team and started LEARNING HOW TO MAKE GAMES for the sake of his audience. A lot of Hivebent's funding has probably come out of his own pocket. Toby Fox made Undertale on the side in part to help continue funding Hivebent.

Andrew Hussie already had the end of the comic in mind when he started working on it. The trolls weren't even part of the story, initially. He deserves to make the ending he wants to make. And he's already said he's planning an epilogue to tie up the loose ends that were left behind. He is not PUNISHING you. Let the man have his creation myth story.

Anyway, read this thread here to see what my favorite interpretation of the ending is. Honestly, it's a good fit for something like Homestuck--a comic that was always about escaping a universe and breaking the fourth wall.
[8:18:42 AM] Joh Terraem: Cori, I've always found your encyclopedic knowledge of dicks to be quite charming and repulsive at the same time

Wesley Foxx

Post by Wesley Foxx »

I'm sorry, but no. Its one thing when people are making demands of something that is provided for free, and another when people are unhappy with how it turned out but aren't demanding it be changed. When its provided to you, free of charge, you have no position to ask for anything and expect them to comply. But regardless of it being free or not, people are fully entitled to express their opinions on the end result. Media does not become exempt from criticism just because 'cmon guys the artist has a lot on their plate'; That may explain why it ended up the way it did, but doesn't stop it from being a disappointment.

Cori

Post by Cori »

I never said the ending was exempt from criticism. I said you don't have the right to be angry AT HUSSIE about what happened, and I'm seeing a lot of that right now. How would you feel if you worked on something for almost a decade of your life and then when you finally brought it to a close, with an ending you were satisfied with, someone slapped you in the face and said "fuck you, this isn't the ending I wanted"?

Criticism is saying "it doesn't answer a lot of questions and it abandons some of the threads that we were expecting to be tied up".

Criticism is NOT saying "what the fuck, how DARE you give me this ending".
[8:18:42 AM] Joh Terraem: Cori, I've always found your encyclopedic knowledge of dicks to be quite charming and repulsive at the same time

DieHard

Post by DieHard »

My criticism is not "how dare you give me this ending" it's "how dare you give me this ending, purposely hyping it up for this spectacular thing on the anniversary, only to leave vague as fuck answers to only a handful of the billion questions we have been asking, only for you to go HAHA JK THATS NOT THE ACTUAL ENDING HAVE FUN WAITING FOR AN UNDISCLOSED AMOUNT OF TIME"

I'd rather have waited until the entire thing was finished so he could release it all within the same time period. Not the same day, but within a week or so. Who knows how long we will have to wait until we get a satisfying ending that didn't end up making us extremely confused.
[img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x211/T_BOHNE003/huwoahuhai7.gif[/img]

Cori

Post by Cori »

Read another webcomic while you wait. Read Prequel or Gunnerkrigg court, they're very good.

Homestuck is not the only thing out there.

Exeres
Master of Puppets

let's start a massive merch drive in the middle of this arc

Post by Exeres »

Cori wrote:Read Prequel
Oh man, if schedule issues are a turn-off, this is a terrible suggestion.

Wesley Foxx

Post by Wesley Foxx »

Yeah, no. Only comic I read that has a comparatively poor update rate as Prequel is Ava's Demon.

Turbro
Master of Seduction

Post by Turbro »

6/12
X