Model Building Thread! (For more than Games Workshop even!)

Let me tell you about my Doctor Who/Adventure Time crossover AU highschool fanfiction
D-vid

Re: Model Building Thread! (For more than Games Workshop eve

Post by D-vid »

I kindof really want a 1/60 of the Titans colored Gundam Mk. 2. But alas, that price. Not even counting the spray paint I'd need.

Sockpuppets

Post by Sockpuppets »

Topaz Luckdragon wrote:Wouldn't it have been better just to rez the "grown ups that collect toys" thread in general shenanigans?
Honestly? No. Model making requires a completely different skill-set to toy collecting, although it is partially related. While some models are pre-built, most are not. We share our pictures I believe, because we are proud of the hours of effort we placed into building them, sanding them, painting them, etc.

Granted, some models, such as the Gunpla posted, are closer in the way of what might be considered toys (posable, bright colours, "cartoony") not all models are similar (although I do enjoy all kinds immensely.) I also build differently scaled buildings and terrain, historical models, such as aircraft and soldiers; often from different places in history; things considered more traditionally "model" if that is your taste.

It is up to the individuals posting to share what they feel like. Which apparently seems to be gunpla right now. This may change.

This thread is also intended to be a place to discuss model making techniques, difficulties, and possibly even ask for opinions or advice on current builds, not just the collecting aspect.

I hope you might understand a little better now why this thread may warrant separation from the old toy thread.
--- The original "Pompous Puppeteer™" ---

If you'd like to check out some of my models and games, check out my website!
https://donkusgaming.wordpress.com

Sockpuppets

Post by Sockpuppets »

D-vid wrote:I kindof really want a 1/60 of the Titans colored Gundam Mk. 2. But alas, that price. Not even counting the spray paint I'd need.
Yeah, I have a Real Grade of the Gundam Mk II I haven't built yet (been busy painting model pirates, yarrr?) but having a look at it you'd need a whole buncha spray paint! It'd be worth it though, it's a lovely kit.

You might consider purchasing an airbrush if you're really into model making! It's a pricy initial investment, but it becomes a lot cheaper than spray paint in the long run!

I typically buy Tamiya spray paint for what it's worth. It's about $15AU a can here though, which is ridiculous honestly. I hope you can get it a lot cheaper than me!
--- The original "Pompous Puppeteer™" ---

If you'd like to check out some of my models and games, check out my website!
https://donkusgaming.wordpress.com

Hogia

Post by Hogia »

Do fighter jets count? I made these from kits.

The F-16 was my first. I still need to put the decals on both of them, but I've never done that before and I'm afraid I could mess it up.
Steam: Tracer

D-vid

Post by D-vid »

Hobbylink Japan got a black Friday event going on everything they got in stock until December 1st.