Fallout General; or, "We Applaud Todd"

Beep beep boop
Rinoko
Shipping Guru

Re: Fallout General: stop posting about fallout 4 it's shit

Post by Rinoko »

I got ED-E, ended up just fixing him with spare parts. I like my lil robot buddy but he fucking ANNOUNCES TO THE WORLD WHERE WE ARE IN A SHOOTOUT WITH HIS GODDAMN FIGHT MUSIC OR WHATEVER THE HELL THAT IS. Does that actually affect your ability to sneak?

Also I ran into some Centaurs in the mountains by the race track and hahaha oh these things look so silly, oh shit they're irradiated OH SHIT THEY HAVE A SUPER MUTANT WITH THEM OH SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIIIIT
[Citation Needed] wrote:your superinsulatory properties have always been a founding tenet of our friendship

Airra

Post by Airra »

I'm fairly sure that followers can't draw attention while you're sneaking, but I'm not 100% positive since I haven't played in forever.
Don't blame me; I voted for Kodos.

Wesley Foxx

Post by Wesley Foxx »

Never liked New Vegas; best DLC was Old World Blues. Loved Fallout 3, without reservations once I enabled the DLC that allows you to be like "oh yeah I DO have radiation immune companions who would gladly turn on the machine for me" to fix that glaring plothole in the original ending. Enjoyed Fallout 4. I'm firmly in the "I am here for the looting and shooting and environmental storytelling" camp rather than the "I loved the original RPGs and grand narratives and having to make moral decisions" crowd.

Cori
jackie chan jackie chan jackie chan jackie chan jackie chan

Post by Cori »

...................^ Yes
....Sarcastic <.......> Grudging Yes
...................v Hate newspapers
[8:18:42 AM] Joh Terraem: Cori, I've always found your encyclopedic knowledge of dicks to be quite charming and repulsive at the same time

Liraxus
a title saying "CLODS!"

Post by Liraxus »

Fallout 4 really would've been a good and for story if it didn't have this crazy plot with synths and trying to find our son in a terrible facility where they roll the paper under than over.

Like, I think an alternative start mod would have been better for the choice.

Cori

Post by Cori »

In a big, open world like the Commonwealth, I take GREAT issue with the lack of agency the devs gave me compared to New Vegas. The game forces you, and expects you to be, a hero character. You can't play as some neutral party or a mercenary or a villain. The devs force you to pretend to care about characters that you have had NO chance to get invested in. You can't say 'no' to a quest. That goddamn Mass Effect dialogue wheel!! The fact that if you do two quests for a faction you're suddenly the greatest operator they've ever had and they want you to be in charge of everything. Your companions are easier to open than a preschool book and if you go through one building with them suddenly they're telling you all about their tragic backstory and how you're the best friend they've ever had since their dead wife died.

At least companions in New Vegas weren't interested in telling you about themselves until they see that you're taking their interests into consideration. Boone doesn't give a fuck about you if he finds out you're anti-NCR. Veronica won't even CONSIDER being your companion if you bash her faction when you first meet her. That's tough shit for you--Veronica has no reason to think you'll feel any different about her, so she doesn't want to give you the time of day. And the fact that not every 'bad' faction in NV starts off being hostile towards you. You could become great friends with the powder gangers so long as you didn't, you know, murder them.

Bethesda's idea of 'environmental storytelling' is to put skeletons all over the place with little diary entries scattered around them for good measure.

"Day 1

Dear Diary,
I found an awesome cave/building and me and my friends are going to live here and have fun!! Maybe rob some travelers!! <3 <3 <3 I heard some weird noises through the wall, though, but I'm sure it's nothing bad"

Day 2

Dear Diary,
Everyone is dead and I am going to die oh my god how could this happen :c I'm going to keep writing until I get conveniently killed near the end of the message I was writing so you don't miss anything impor"

Basically, Fallout 4 falls into the same trap that Skyrim did. Every quest is just a different person telling you to go to a location and kill a certain flavor of bad guy. Ooh, what kind of bad guy is it gonna be this time? Raiders? Ghouls? MIRELURKS??

I will say, Fallout 4 is much better at combat than previous Fallout titles, and your ability to move through your environment is greatly improved. I never liked how there was no option to sprint in New Vegas. Program limitations, maybe, idk, but it wasn't fun to have a rabid deathclaw at your back and all you could do to get away from it was a leisurely jog.

But did the rest of the game have to be so daisies shallow??

New Vegas made it a POINT to show you that your actions have far-reaching consequences. Consequences have been a part of Fallout games since the very FIRST one. The entire world is the way it is as a consequence of the pre-war governments' actions! You have your vault's well-being in the palm of your hand, and if you cast it aside they WILL die! Your misdeeds have the potential to unleash a blight on the entire region. CONSEQUENCES.

Fallout 4 throws away the cause-and-effect theme of every single game before it for the sake of being a looty shooty game. Looty shooty games aren't bad, but I expect so much more from a series that is supposed to be about humanity's struggle to survive and thrive in a world that was ruined by their predecessors. Hell, it's been more than 200 years since the bombs fell and Bethesda's vision of the game is nothing but empty, barren wasteland and empty, ruined buildings. Society is but a few dim beacons of light amidst a sea of anarchy and monsters and skeletons. In New Vegas it made more sense, because you were in the middle of the freaking Mojave DESERT and it's hard to eke out a living in a place like that when you have nothing to start with. But I would think that the goddamn Boston Commonwealth would show a LITTLE more post-war recovery and development, instead of having resources lying untouched EVERYWHERE and buildings sitting empty, with no signs of even a little effort to get rid of the skeletons littering the place. Two hundred goddamn years!

TL;DR, the only thing Fallout 4 is good for is the improved combat mechanics and everything else feels so, so hollow.
[8:18:42 AM] Joh Terraem: Cori, I've always found your encyclopedic knowledge of dicks to be quite charming and repulsive at the same time

Exeres
Master of Puppets

new vegas for life

Post by Exeres »

Cori wrote:Bethesda might own some great IPs but they SUCK at writing.
Remember when they forced you into a heroic sacrifice at the end of 3? Even though there were plenty of options that did not necessitate death by radiation, you just get a shrug and "it's your fucking destiny."
The A in this case stands for Armageddon. As in, Armageddon a boner because this plane has a fucking HOWITZER sticking out of it.

Cori

Post by Cori »

Yeah seriously FUCK the original ending of FO3. Bethesda may have retconned it to make room for the DLC but I will never forget. NEVER.

Honestly the entire plot of FO3 was a mess but I'm not really able to articulate all of the flaws within the main story. I do remember a 4chan screencap that summed up the mess quite nicely.

The Nightman
Not actually a granny

Post by The Nightman »

Yea, I actually didn't even finish Fo4. The shallow story along with the performance issues at launch made me just give up about 1/3 into the game. A couple of the sidequests, like when you go into the church to fight the deathclaw were cool, and a lot of the locations were nice, but the locked in story was just so boring.

Also, reading this thread has made me want to play New Vegas again. Gonna spend hours modding it and then only play for a few minutes; as is tradition.
[Citation Needed] wrote:I am the most least quotable person.

Wesley Foxx

Post by Wesley Foxx »

Terribly sorry they didn't make another Fallout 1/2/NV, but with how well 3 and 4 (and Skyrim) have done financially and in terms of recognition/popularity, they have no reason to go back to that formula.

Cori

Post by Cori »

Wow it's so nice to know that we can look forward to fifteen more years of shallow looty shooty games that do disservice to their source material because new fans and the devs themselves are complacent and satisfied with mediocrity.

Wesley Foxx

Post by Wesley Foxx »

I mean ideally we'd have both depth of narrative AND excellent combat, exploration, crafting, etc, but I'll take shallow but entertaining over deep but just kind of fun when it comes to my video games. S'why I find myself playing Starcraft 2 so much.

SaintCrazy
The Real Ghost Blues

Post by SaintCrazy »

Well, if mediocrity can bring in the $$big bucks$$, why wouldn't they?

Although... it seems like Fallout 4 hasn't inspired the same level of devotion that Skyrim did, though it may be still too early to tell from sales numbers. Yeah it sold a lot, mainly due to hype and marketing, but will it stand the test of time? I think that a lot of complaints have been common enough to have been heard by now, especially the big ones like people not liking the voiced protagonist or dialog options.

On the other hand, we will probably see more of the features that people did like, such as the crafting system, perks, and the gunplay. Story and writing... it's hard to say, because the average consumer or even the average review writer usually doesn't articulate on what exactly made the writing so bad or why choice and consequence matter so much. They'd be more likely to say something vague like "I just kinda lost interest in it". So it's kind of a toss up as far as writing goes.

Plus, it'd be hard to market "Hey guys we gave the story and characters more depth and nuance!" in an E3 trailer, you know? They're more likely to focus on things that are more... tangible? Able to be shown off quickly so that more people will buy it, even people who aren't devoted fans.
↑ Let's kick the beat. ♫ (shuffle for best results) ↑

Syobon
+4 to defense

Post by Syobon »

excellent combat
u wot

Cori

Post by Cori »

Syobon wrote:
excellent combat
u wot
an improvement over New Vegas and Fallout 3, but excellent? I think not.

Also if Bethesda would just let Obsidian take the reins again, then we'd get our nuance and depth back. AND they'd be able to work with the mechanics that Fallout 4 established. That's what they did with New Vegas after Fallout 3, after all.