The Mario Thread: Luigi lives on in our hearts

Beep beep boop
Lordy

The Mario Thread: Luigi lives on in our hearts

Post by Lordy »

Searched for a Mario general thread, found none.

To kick off discussion: I have 4 special worlds to beat as Mario to unlock S8-Crown in SM3DL.
Last edited by Lordy on Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:17 am, edited 7 times in total.

D-vid

Re: The Mario (and sometimes Luigi) Thread

Post by D-vid »

I love SMW romhacks.
Also if I find the cheddar I'll get 3D land and/or Luigi's Mansion 2 whenever it's released

ShadowGuy

Post by ShadowGuy »

I love seeing SMW levels created through Level Editor on YouTube. Most of them are very impressive and complex.

Syobon
+4 to defense

Post by Syobon »

I should get around to getting all stars on New Super Mario Bros Wii sometime. I think I was at world 8 or 9.

Lordy

Post by Lordy »

I never could get the hang of NSMBW. I dunno, I guess I just found it a little bland for a Mario game. It had next to nothing new, and one of its only new power-ups (Penguin suit) is just combining the Ice Flower and NSMB's Shell Suit. And it wasn't the difficulty, because I can ace Mario 3 pretty easily.

KevTehNev

Post by KevTehNev »

I decided to start a Danger Run in Paper Mario, and I'm trying to enjoy this 10 health while I have it.

This is going to get really hard really fast.

Kamak
Riku's other favorite

Post by Kamak »

NSMBW is the only Mario game I haven't completed.

Mostly because I got stuck trying to get one star coin in the Ice World and never went past that (since I like to get all the coins at once).

That game didn't gel with me for some reason, even when I played multiplayer.
-K-
ImageImage

Syobon
+4 to defense

Post by Syobon »

The physics felt off to me, I had 100% completion in New Super Mario Bros on the DS and flew through levels at ease, but NSMBW felt different somehow. Multiplayer is a ton of fun though.

Kamak
Riku's other favorite

Post by Kamak »

Syobon wrote:The physics felt off to me, I had 100% completion in New Super Mario Bros on the DS and flew through levels at ease, but NSMBW felt different somehow. Multiplayer is a ton of fun though.
Yeah, that's kinda what I felt too.

Plus the overall scope of the levels was a bit much. There was so much open space in the levels.

Then again, that tends to happen in games that have a flying power up.

The only flying power up I've really ever liked was the cape. I was kinda glad the Tanooki suit got nerfed in SM3DL.
-K-
ImageImage

Lordy

Post by Lordy »

I liked the red star. Shame it was, you know, only useable for one easy star and in the observatory.

KevTehNev

Post by KevTehNev »

Danger Mario runs, also known as POWERBOUNCEPOWERBOUNCEPOWERBOUNCEREFRESHPOWERBOUNCE

Liraxus
a title saying "CLODS!"

Post by Liraxus »

Dear Miyamoto.

LEVEL EDITOR.
Were waiting...

FireflyYoshi

Post by FireflyYoshi »

I completed Super Mario 3D Land in less than a fortnight :awesomeface:

Also someone once walked past my house with that game on Streetpass, but I had better times in almost every level and I easily beat the ones he did have a lower time in :science:

I fikken love that game, /espicially/ the Statue Leaf. I personally call that one the Tanooki Leaf and the normal version in the regular worlds is the 'Raccoon Leaf' instead. It helps that the 'Tanooki Leaf' gives Mario/Luigi a bandana, which I like a lot (at least 50% of my characters wear the darn things) and you can crush things by transforming above them.

I don't really understand why Luigi has a Fox / Kitsune suit yes I do know Kitsune can be normal foxes, but they sound more magical instead of Raccoon / Tanooki, but hey, it does look good on him~

EDIT: Image Fox Luigi.
It's Guts Man! -DAH NAH!!-
THIS WEATHERMAN IS PREDICTING A 99% CHANCE OF SHITSTORM, AND IT'S COMING RIGHT AT YA!

Kamak
Riku's other favorite

Post by Kamak »

It's probably because Tanukis and Kitsunes have kind of a rival dynamic to them in Japan (kinda like the Dragon/Tiger dynamic, but less severe). Mario and Luigi have many opposing aspects (Red and Green, famous and easily forgotten, courageous and cowardly, etc.), so this was probably added as a bit of an added bonus to the sibling differences.

Also, the same thing comes up in the Animal Crossing games as well with Tom Nook and Crazy Redd.
-K-
ImageImage

FireflyYoshi

Post by FireflyYoshi »

That's a good point~ They're both magical transforming creatures, too~~

EDIT: Although the 'easily forgotton' part about Luigi in only really in-universe. I swear Luigi has way more Fangirls (like me!) than Mario irl, even though Mario is more well known in general.
EDIT TWO DARN IT: Luigi is a bit of a chicken, but the fact he's really scared of stuff and does it anyway shows he's still really brave. Case in point is his Mansion game/s.
It's Guts Man! -DAH NAH!!-
THIS WEATHERMAN IS PREDICTING A 99% CHANCE OF SHITSTORM, AND IT'S COMING RIGHT AT YA!