being a gentleman is my jojob

FIGHTAN General - Today's word is: "BROLY'S NIPS"

Post by Shad »

Here we talk about fighting games

I hope Skullgirls will have success because the game sounds mega good

DoNotDelete

Re: FIGHTING GAMES General - Today's word is "WESKAR"

Post by DoNotDelete »

Wonderin' when we'll hear any news on SSB4.

Could be a while.

Syobon
+4 to defense

Post by Syobon »

Confession: I've never played a fighting game properly, aka learn combos and stuff. I just push buttons, try and memorise what they do, and then try to hit my opponent.

DoNotDelete

Post by DoNotDelete »

I think Killer Instinct is the only fightan gaem where I made an effort to learn how to do combos and chain combos properly - other than that I only really learned how to do most of Ryu's/Ken's and Guile's/Charlie's moves in the SF/MvC games, otherwise, yeah, I was a secret fightan gaem button masher.

I like the way that SSB makes it easier to just pick up and play a fightan gaem casually.

Shad

Post by Shad »

Syobon, what you said is pretty much the basics when it comes to fighting games and they're really important: knowing what your attacks do and attacking correctly with them. When players say a character has "good buttons" it means that their normal attacks have good range, good priority, good damage, or are easy to confirm into more damage. Playing at mid-close distance and trying to hit your opponent is called "playing footsies".

There are a few playstyles in fighting games, such as rushdown, zoning, runaway. All of them involve knowing how to "play footsies". Knowing what attack is good to use in each situation and how to react to your opponent, but also being patient and analysing your opponent's patterns.

Alex Valle (famous fighting game player) once said that to be good at fighting games, you have to learn two things: how to control space in a match (and you do that by attacking smartly) and how to do big damage (and you do that by learning your combos).

If you have some time to spare, you can read the amazing Footsies Handbook. It's loaded with examples from real matches, and was written by one of the smartest players in the community. Even though it talks about something that is at the core of fighting games and that is very important, it's not really an easy read, since footsies are "a complex and elusive subject".

SF is indeed not really fun to play casually when you're new at fighting games. Soul Calibur is amongst the most fun games at low level, in my opinion.

Chaossebba

Post by Chaossebba »

Everyone who plays Wesker,Vergil or Dante in UMVC3 is considered a gigantic faggot, and people who rely on Dark Phoenix should be hanged in public

Discuss.

Also gems

Syobon
+4 to defense

Post by Syobon »

Thanks for that Le Great Handsome Oppressor, I've bookmarked that page, I might read it if I get into a fighting game.

Yeah, Soul Calibur is pretty fun. I've played MvC2 and thought it was cool but I wasn't able to get into it.

Shad

Post by Shad »

Chaossebba wrote:Also gems

CommanderPepper

Post by CommanderPepper »

I was playing in Capcom Unity's proletariats vs Members event yesterday and I bodied almost everyone. I even used my Phoenix Wright team and no one was able to stop me from getting evidence. Capcom Unity needs to step up his game.
Also good title Le Great Handsome Oppressor.

DoNotDelete

Post by DoNotDelete »

Le Great Handsome Oppressor wrote:[youtube]JEM[/youtube]

Shoolis

Post by Shoolis »

I can't wait for SCV. Raphael and Tira are my bffs.
This is for you King Ghidorah....

Chaossebba

Post by Chaossebba »

I'm going to pick Dampierre because I'm a cool guy

and probably Yoshimitsu

Vax
who

Post by Vax »

Man, SCII is probably my favorite fighting game. I could still play that game nonstop

I'm a pretty loyal Namco guy, and I buy basically any fighting game they put out (even though I hated SCIII)

And Tekken 6 I play primarily to let off steam and get my zen on. When I really feel like concentrating on a fightan I play Blazblue or SSF4.

Shit I don't really play much BUT fighting games. Shit I still break out the GC and play Capcom vs SNK 2 from time to time.
Or, y'know, whatever.

Shad

Post by Shad »

Vaxidd8 wrote:Shit I still break out the GC and play Capcom vs SNK 2 from time to time.
Real Honest Fighting Game

Nefarious Bear
Criminal Mastermind
Location: Tying damsels in distress to the nearest railroad track.

Post by Nefarious Bear »

DoNotDelete wrote:Wonderin' when we'll hear any news on SSB4.

Could be a while.
it WILL be a while.

It was revealed that they didn't even have a team to develop it at the time of announcement.
Sol Reaper wrote:Welcome to Whose AZ is it Anyway, where everyone hates each other and the threads don't matter.
(image leads to backpack)