Dark/Demon's Souls

Beep beep boop
Airra

Re: Dark/Demon's Souls

Post by Airra »

Galaxy Man wrote:once again, that's bodaciously how poise worked in DS2.
I'll just paste this:
Dark Souls 2 Wikis wrote:If you take a hit and have sufficient poise while attacking, it is as if nothing happened and your attack animation will carry through without interruption.

If you take a hit and have sufficient poise while standing still, walking, or running, you are put into a "half stagger" where movement speed is temporarily reduced. A player who is "half staggered" may still perform any usual action.
Now, I did a bunch of testing with a lot of different setups, and I seemed to have found something.

Some more testing and I can conclude that the talisman skill, Unfaltering Prayer, allows me to tank through a single hit, but it doesn't increase when I switch armor poise from between 0 (nothing worn) to 61.23 (Winged Knight set and Yhorm's Shield). Tested against the most basic hollows by having them mob me with their broken swords, and I tested again with a mob of Lothric knights.

Using Wrath of the Gods, I was able to tank through any one hit until the end of the skill. At the start, after a seconds passed, and right as the skill goes off. If I take a second hit at any point during the use of Unfaltering Prayer, I am instantly staggered, regardless of damage source.

The Perseverance skill prevents stagger regardless of enemy until the animation completes. It made no difference what armor set I wore, just as above. Tested against multiple Basic Hollows and Lothric Knights (remember, I'm intentionally drawing groups together to rapidly attack during animations).

Using Iron Flesh, I was able to receive attacks for the entire duration of the skill at 0 Poise with absolutely nothing equipped, save for the Pyromancy flame. Despite my efforts, I was unable to force myself staggered. Rather than Poise, I believe this to be an inherent effect of Iron Flesh's ability intercepting attacks rather than using the conventional hitstun calculations.

Finally, I tested Ultra Weapon Hyper Armor. Wearing nothing, I was unable to make it halfway through the leap of Smough's Greathammer's Two-Handed R2 when wearing nothing at 0 Poise.
Next, I increased Poise back to just-above sixty using the Greatshield and Armor listed above. Strangely enough, I was able to power through the start of the animation. I decided to start removing gear gradually until it would stop working.

Then I realized something from someone's recent discovery.
Rolling allows you to armor through the last few frames of an attack based on Equip Load percentage. Being a scientist with a theoretical degree in videogame physics, I had to take this data into account. I removed all my non-weapon gear and anything that gave a bonus Poise boost. I then maxed out my equip load to 100% by equipping the above hammer and having several Ultra Greatswords equipped to the secondary weapon slots.

The result: I was able to armor through the first moments of the leap animation at 0 Poise just as I did when I had 61 Poise, breaking 100% Equip Load for both armor tests.

Conclusion: Everything people are relating to poise is a placebo effect. The game grants armor frames based on how heavy you are.
Don't blame me; I voted for Kodos.

Bappie
Explosive Penguin Enthusiast

Post by Bappie »

Makes sense.
If you're light enough to roll quickly, you're not gonna be able to resist being knocked back easily.
Whereas if you're so heavy you can't move yourself so quick, the enemies aren't going to be able to either.

So Poise really does do nothing?
Last edited by Bappie on Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Airra

Post by Airra »

Absolutely nothing. I tested all the variables I could think of. Feel free to go try these things yourself.
Just run around with an ultra weapon at super high equip load percentages, with and without armor, and then try it again with absolutely nothing on at all aside from the mainhand weapon.

iamthelordhitman
Sir Lurksalot
Location: I'm probably somewhere that you aren't, but you think I'm there, but you're not sure.

Post by iamthelordhitman »

If that is true why do I stagger people with a crossbow bolt that are in full havel armor, the heaviest armor in the game to my knowledge
this is my tf2 shit
Mr. Torgue wrote:OH SNAP, THE MONSTER I SENT YOU TO KILL, IS ACTUALLY A MONSTER TRUCK. PUNS MOTHER FUCKER.
3DS FC: 3625-8484-5988

Airra

Post by Airra »

It depends on what weapon they're swinging and if they are, in fact, swinging said weapon. Great weapons and above have armor frames (less noticeable on Greatswords when one-handing, regardless) on attacks. Any other action, they don't have armor frames.

If you're fighting Havestocs and such, they're not at any particular advantage since they have nothing that their weight can abuse.

Bappie
Explosive Penguin Enthusiast

Post by Bappie »

iamthelordhitman wrote:If that is true why do I stagger people with a crossbow bolt that are in full havel armor, the heaviest armor in the game to my knowledge
Because there is no poise.

High Equip Load only affects hyper-armour, which is only active during attacks.
No matter what you're wearing you will be staggered if you're not attacking.

Edit: Airra is a ninja.
ImageImageImage

Airra

Post by Airra »

I always keep spare Young White Branches on hand. You'll never know I'm there.

iamthelordhitman
Sir Lurksalot
Location: I'm probably somewhere that you aren't, but you think I'm there, but you're not sure.

Good thing my shield of glory is +5 and blocks goddamm near everything. I like that the shield bash actually is worth a fuck, I've surprised some invaders mid swing with the bash and it actually hurts
this is my tf2 shit
Mr. Torgue wrote:OH SNAP, THE MONSTER I SENT YOU TO KILL, IS ACTUALLY A MONSTER TRUCK. PUNS MOTHER FUCKER.

Shoolis

Post by Shoolis »

Why are the goat men so angry
This is for you King Ghidorah....

Liraxus
a title saying "CLODS!"

Post by Liraxus »

Because you stole their KID.

AHUE

AHUE

AHUE

Airra

Post by Airra »

I am a slight bit disappointed that the Shrine Handmaid doesn't sell the Dragonslayer Armour after killing the Dragonslayer Armour, even if it makes total sense since it died via bludgeoning/choppening/explosioning.

Galaxy Man

Post by Galaxy Man »

iamthelordhitman wrote:Good thing my shield of glory is +5 and blocks goddamm near everything. I like that the shield bash actually is worth a fuck, I've surprised some invaders mid swing with the bash and it actually hurts
the meta right now is either roll with a straight sword, the estoc, or two-hand a greatshield.

they're all equally annoying but at least i have a hard time getting mad at the guy dressed like an even fatter smough trying to beat my face in with a plank of sheet metal
^it's a tumblr link oh geez^
oh man is this a steam profile

iamthelordhitman
Sir Lurksalot

oh my god please tell me more about this greatshield build

this sounds hilariously amazing
this is my tf2 shit

Airra

Post by Airra »

Add Dark Souls II's Ironclad set and you have the perfect Turtle (appearance-wise; the defense may not be quite as great as Smough's set?).

Syobon
+4 to defense

Post by Syobon »

Welp, guess The Wall is legit now.

Postan' in case anyone hasn't seen this masterpiece
https://youtu.be/oXp8Th41rBs