Dota2 Thread

Beep beep boop
Fluffdick
fluffduck

Dota2 Thread

Post by Fluffdick »

Dota 2 is an upcoming action fantasy strategy video game being developed by Valve Corporation. It is the stand-alone sequel to the popular Warcraft III custom map Defense of the Ancients. The title was formally announced on October 13, 2010 via the Game Informer website.[1] The game currently is scheduled for release in 2011, which would make it Valve's second release of the year, following Portal 2, and preceding Counter-Strike: Global Offensive in the first half of 2012. [2] The game's lead designer is the longest-serving and current developer of Defense of the Ancients, known as "IceFrog", who continues to maintain his public anonymity, while leading a development team at Valve.[1] The game will be released through both retail and Steam, for Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X.[1] Dota 2 marks Valve's first fantasy, as well as Action RTS game.
Gameplay:
Dota 2 features the return of characters and factions from the original Defense of the Ancients title with new features modeled after their already-established designs and attributes. Much like the original, Dota 2 combines the real-time strategy element of traditional top-down perspective, while also incorporating the leveling and itemization system of a role playing game. Players assume the role of a unit categorized as a "hero", who through combat experience, may progress to a maximum level of 25. The basic setup of Dota 2 places two strongholds with "ancients" at opposing ends of an evenly-balanced map with multiple connecting regions identified as "lanes", in which enemy units primarily traverse, while also combating powerful defensive towers along the way. Players are split into two teams, ideally in a five-on-five format, to compete as the primary defenders for each ancient.

The overall objective of each match is to battle through the opposing force's defenses, in order to arrive at and destroy the opponents' ancient. The towers and stronghold defenses are invulnerable to attacks so long as the towers nearest the enemy side still stand. Periodically, groups of weaker infantry units commonly called "creeps" are spawned, which move along their lane until they reach an enemy unit or structure, which they will then attack.

Defeating enemy forces grants a distributed amount of currency of gold to the offending team, with the greater portion being retained by the player who made the final blow. Players also gain experience, which accumulates to gain higher levels. The greatest proportion of gold and experience comes from destroying higher priority forces, such as enemy heroes and towers.

Dota 2 will utilize Valve's Steam software in order to provide social and community functionality for the game. Steam accounts will save personal files and settings on the online accounts using the Steam Cloud. Dota 2 will also feature free-camera live spectating, in tradition of competitive Valve titles. The game host has the option to fill open slots with AI bots. Another option allows the host to determine if AI bots or other human players will be used to fill the vacated slot of a disconnected player. Valve is introducing a coaching system to allow for more experienced players to tutor newer players. The game will also feature tutorial sessions for further assisting players to mount the steep learning curve before competitive play.[1]

Dota 2 will remain completely based around instant action multiplayer activity, excluding a single-player campaign, but retaining a strong lore tied into the gameplay, including individual hero back-stories and vocal interactions in-game.[3]

Leaked Art:
Art 1
Art 2

Leaked Screenshots:
Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2
Screenshot 3
Screenshot 4

Current Heros:

News:
In response to a question regarding the current match making system posed by a fan on the Left 4 Dead developer account on Twitter, Valve has responded by stating that they are internally testing “some social things” and that DotA 2 might see an entirely new match making system.

We are internally testing some social things and dota2 will test a complete new match making system we might see.
Valve seems to be still improving on the social features that are to be a part of DotA 2. Boosting up the social interaction facilities and better match making services for the platform might just do the trick for the game and the large number of users playing DotA currently.
http://portal.aecorp.in/2011/07/dota-2- ... ng-system/

HisanTakura

Re: Dota2 Thread

Post by HisanTakura »

Good lord, talk about an ascended creation.

I like that I can recognize all the Warcraft III models that each of the hero used just by their attack style and slight clothing.

Crushter
patrolling the mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter

Post by Crushter »

>Chen isn't a panda

I don't know if I should enjoy this, considering it killed every other fucking custom game.

FatOldRobot

Post by FatOldRobot »

This game might be what a hero truly needs.
Edit: Why the fuck isn't chen a pandaman?

Fatehehhhh

Post by Fatehehhhh »

3DS Friend Code: 5429-6846-5491
Steam ID: Here.
Xbox Live Gamertag: MAHVEL BAYBEH

KevTehNev

Post by KevTehNev »

Fatehehhhh wrote:DOTA2 beta incoming!
Signed up. Aw shit I hope I can get in even if I am terrible at LoL I still wanna play this.

Mr. Mander
how much is a score

Post by Mr. Mander »

Signed up for that.

Knowing Valve it's going to be a Mac release anyway and I'll bet there aren't many people to beta test THAT

Shoolis

Post by Shoolis »

I want to know if my shitty laptop will play it before I jump into this lake of valve
This is for you King Ghidorah....

Fluffdick
fluffduck

Post by Fluffdick »

It's a Source game if you can run TF2 or CS:S you can run this.

scebboaliwiw

Post by scebboaliwiw »

Crush Bandicoot wrote:>Chen isn't a cat

Badfish

Post by Badfish »

Am I the only one who remembers chen as that fucking Orc riding on a wolf?

He was a panda at some point?

Verom

Post by Verom »

They have dazzle
fuck yes.

Badfish

Post by Badfish »

http://www.dota2.com/tournaments/international/

Live stream has started!

Or maybe it already has