Fire Emblem

Beep beep boop
OshaliteX2
user-title-y thing
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:21 am
Location: Mossdeep City. Where else? LITTLEROOT TOWN?!?! HA!!!

Re: Fire Emblem

Post by OshaliteX2 »

I bought my friend Birthright for his birthday. He seems to be having fun with it, so I'm glad.
Meanwhile, I was trying to get Sol and Axebreaker on Odin's daughter (Selena's the mom AGAIN) but now that I have them they only have Axebreaker... but on my first playthrough they had Sol (but Selena didn't have Axebreaker yet). So do the kids only get the latest skill of their parents? I'm curious... and confused.
If that's the case, Odin's child is gonna get the Hero-for-a-day treatment because I really want Sol. Aaaaaand a bunch of my other child units are gonna be using Heart Seals too...
SIGH
ImageFeed me lemons or feed me life!Image Image
*not meant to be taken bodaciously

User avatar
Shoolis
Posts: 10384
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:49 pm
Location: DINO LAND
Contact:

Re: Fire Emblem

Post by Shoolis »

In my Birthright play through I've decided to pair Oboro with Silas to get some right proper hate fucking going on
Image
This is for you King Ghidorah....

OshaliteX2
user-title-y thing
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:21 am
Location: Mossdeep City. Where else? LITTLEROOT TOWN?!?! HA!!!

Re: Fire Emblem

Post by OshaliteX2 »

So I figured out that child units DO only get the latest skill. Took me long enough. I reclassed Niles' child to be a Malig Knight just so they could get Lunge, but in the end I really liked them as a Malig Knight and was a bit reluctant to put them back to their normal class for what I had planned for Supports. Since Nina already had Move+1 from being an Outlaw paired with Niles she had 10 "Mov", which blew my mind. She also dealt good damage with Fire and a Bronze Axe, and could still Lunge at a distance with the former... but I mostly noticed her hair braids bobbed up and down on the wyvern and I found that mesmerizing.
ImageFeed me lemons or feed me life!Image Image
*not meant to be taken bodaciously

User avatar
Liraxus
a title saying "CLODS!"
Posts: 4815
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:58 am
Location: Philadelphia's better neighbor

Re: Fire Emblem

Post by Liraxus »


felt this was appropriate
Image

User avatar
Rinoko
Shipping Guru
Posts: 10078
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:12 pm
Location: Editing the shipping wall

Re: Fire Emblem

Post by Rinoko »

Shoolis wrote:In my Birthright play through I've decided to pair Oboro with Silas to get some right proper hate fucking going on
Oh god I snorted, can I steal that for Revelation?
[Citation Needed] wrote:your superinsulatory properties have always been a founding tenet of our friendship
Image

OshaliteX2
user-title-y thing
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:21 am
Location: Mossdeep City. Where else? LITTLEROOT TOWN?!?! HA!!!

Re: Fire Emblem

Post by OshaliteX2 »

So I decided to buy Revelation... it's pretty fun. I especially like the maps. But I'm only on chapter 14 and I already feel swamped with units. Supports are gonna be a real hassle to comb through.
In other news, I named a Steel Lance "Nagi-not-a" and have made it my personal mission to label all my scroll weapons as "Clacky Fans".
ImageFeed me lemons or feed me life!Image Image
*not meant to be taken bodaciously

User avatar
Shoolis
Posts: 10384
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:49 pm
Location: DINO LAND
Contact:

Re: Fire Emblem

Post by Shoolis »

"The only way I can focus my chi and align my chakras is to use my clacky fans"- Hayato at some point
Image
This is for you King Ghidorah....

User avatar
Shining Charizard
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Fire Emblem

Post by Shining Charizard »

Finally picked Conquest back up after having no time for video games and

WHY THE #%$^&! DOES IT NOT LET YOU SAVE BEFORE THE FINAL BOSS

WHY

THANKS VIDEO GAME WHY YES I DID WANT TO WASTE THAT ENTIRE TWO HOURS

I am extremely rustled off by this, because it's complete and utter nonsense! There's no reason to make you replay the previous level for that!

OshaliteX2
user-title-y thing
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:21 am
Location: Mossdeep City. Where else? LITTLEROOT TOWN?!?! HA!!!

Re: Fire Emblem

Post by OshaliteX2 »

Shining Charizard wrote:WHY THE #%$^&! DOES IT NOT LET YOU SAVE BEFORE THE FINAL BOSS
Eeeeeeyup. That was really weird when I first got to that too, sorry you had to go back and replay. I hope it didn't ruin the game for you.

In other news, I'm labeling my Yumis as "Yummys" (Baked Yummy, Friend Yummy) and named Rinkah's Fire tome "Hot Shot".
For some reason "Clacky Fans" are really catching on for me. Definitely a weapon name that I'll use in future playthroughs.
Lastly, I named a Surefire Yumi "360 Bowscope".
...
ImageFeed me lemons or feed me life!Image Image
*not meant to be taken bodaciously

User avatar
Prometheus878
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:09 am

Re: Fire Emblem

Post by Prometheus878 »

Hello folks, newcomer here.

So, I like Fire Emblem: Fate's art style and I'm thinking of giving it a shot. However, I don't own a 3DS, nor have I ever played a Fire Emblem game before.

Is Fates good enough for a complete noob to the series to buy a 3DS for it?

User avatar
Cori
jackie chan jackie chan jackie chan jackie chan jackie chan
Posts: 8249
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:45 pm
Location: hella
Contact:

Re: Fire Emblem

Post by Cori »

Shining Charizard wrote:
WHY THE #%$^&! DOES IT NOT LET YOU SAVE BEFORE THE FINAL BOSS
Fire Emblem has bodaciously always done that.

I am extremely familiar with the last map in Sacred Stones because of the difficulty I had with the final boss when I was first playing the game.

also, prometheus, I haven't played Fates--I lost interest in the series in part because of the shift to focus more on character shipping. I had the same gripe with Awakening too. I liked support conversations in the older games but I dislike how much the newer games OBSESS over them. And after you're done shipping your two fave characters, the game is like "LOOK! THEY MADE BABBY! ISN'T THAT GREAT!!" A lot of the romance between the different characters seems really forced. Plus, I'm not a romantic person, and I really don't have the stomach for that kind of mushiness the game is trying to encourage me to consume. Also the English localization team really fucked up Fate's localization--they changed some things that needed to be changed, then they went and changed a bunch of things that DIDN'T need to be changed.

But as far as gameplay goes, the newer games do make an effort to be more accessible to newcomers to the series. They allow you the option of not losing characters permanently if they get killed in a battle, which is what one of my friends was always unhappy about (and she did not appreciate my advice for her to Git Gud. Ingrate.).

So...yeah, Fates and Awakening are good for newcomers. But if you think you won't be discouraged by losing characters if you mess up, or if you think you can tolerate re-starting levels to not let said characters die, I'd highly recommend trying out an older FE game. My personal favorite is Sacred Stones for GBA--I played that one when I was a kid and it still holds up today IMO. I've also played Path of Radiance for Gamecube (that one has upstanding members of society in it!)

Also, your avatar is too big. 200x200 is the max size.
Image
[8:18:42 AM] Joh Terraem: Cori, I've always found your encyclopedic knowledge of dicks to be quite charming and repulsive at the same time

User avatar
Prometheus878
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:09 am

Re: Fire Emblem

Post by Prometheus878 »

Cori wrote:
Shining Charizard wrote:
WHY THE #%$^&! DOES IT NOT LET YOU SAVE BEFORE THE FINAL BOSS
Fire Emblem has bodaciously always done that.

I am extremely familiar with the last map in Sacred Stones because of the difficulty I had with the final boss when I was first playing the game.

also, prometheus, I haven't played Fates--I lost interest in the series in part because of the shift to focus more on character shipping. I had the same gripe with Awakening too. I liked support conversations in the older games but I dislike how much the newer games OBSESS over them. And after you're done shipping your two fave characters, the game is like "LOOK! THEY MADE BABBY! ISN'T THAT GREAT!!" A lot of the romance between the different characters seems really forced. Plus, I'm not a romantic person, and I really don't have the stomach for that kind of mushiness the game is trying to encourage me to consume. Also the English localization team really fucked up Fate's localization--they changed some things that needed to be changed, then they went and changed a bunch of things that DIDN'T need to be changed.

But as far as gameplay goes, the newer games do make an effort to be more accessible to newcomers to the series. They allow you the option of not losing characters permanently if they get killed in a battle, which is what one of my friends was always unhappy about (and she did not appreciate my advice for her to Git Gud. Ingrate.).

So...yeah, Fates and Awakening are good for newcomers. But if you think you won't be discouraged by losing characters if you mess up, or if you think you can tolerate re-starting levels to not let said characters die, I'd highly recommend trying out an older FE game. My personal favorite is Sacred Stones for GBA--I played that one when I was a kid and it still holds up today IMO. I've also played Path of Radiance for Gamecube (that one has upstanding members of society in it!)

Also, your avatar is too big. 200x200 is the max size.
Thank you for your input. The forum says 300X300 is the maximum size, so of course I trusted it. -_-

Still on the fence about Fire Emblem. Hm.

OshaliteX2
user-title-y thing
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:21 am
Location: Mossdeep City. Where else? LITTLEROOT TOWN?!?! HA!!!

Re: Fire Emblem

Post by OshaliteX2 »

Cori wrote:I lost interest in the series in part because of the shift to focus more on character shipping. I had the same gripe with Awakening too. I liked support conversations in the older games but I dislike how much the newer games OBSESS over them. And after you're done shipping your two fave characters, the game is like "LOOK! THEY MADE BABBY! ISN'T THAT GREAT!!" A lot of the romance between the different characters seems really forced. Plus, I'm not a romantic person, and I really don't have the stomach for that kind of mushiness the game is trying to encourage me to consume.
The games obsess over Supports...?
I'm really sorry Cori, but personally I can't quite agree with that.
The forced romance is something I could do just fine without, so I see your point there. I'm not a fan of the whatever-shenanigans with your Private Quarters. But some of the funny supports really crack me up. I wouldn't quite say the game is obsessed with supports as much as... they're easily accessible. But I've ONLY played Fates; whatever I say should only be taken with a pinch of salt. In fact, I feel Fates kind of skims over Supports up to the whole MADE A BABBY part, but then skims over that just as well. Maybe it was different in Awakening. I really don't know.
But if you mean that they're a bigger part of the game than before Awakening then I think I get your point. But in my eyes, the main gameplay and story still takes priority over whatever-shipping.
ImageFeed me lemons or feed me life!Image Image
*not meant to be taken bodaciously

User avatar
Cori
jackie chan jackie chan jackie chan jackie chan jackie chan
Posts: 8249
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:45 pm
Location: hella
Contact:

Re: Fire Emblem

Post by Cori »

OshaliteX2 wrote: But in my eyes, the main gameplay and story still takes priority over whatever-shipping.

I have a hard time believing that when the latter part of the game involves recruiting everyone's future shipping-spawn. Honestly, I feel like the entire Awakening story could have been done--and done better--without the 'future children going back in time' bullcrockery.

And, you're right when you say that the game skims over support conversations up to the baby part. It's because the devs didn't have any designated couples that they could focus on writing a budding romance for. That's why the C, B, and A rank supports read mostly (with the exception of a few characters) "platonic, platonic, platonic" and then suddenly S rank is "HEY LET'S BUMP UGLIES" In older games, some characters could wind up romantically involved by the end of the game, but all of their support conversations leading up to that were able to SHOW how their relationship was developing. Seth and Natasha's support conversations from Sacred Stones are pretty cute, not gonna lie.

The romance is just contrived, that's how I feel. I'd write more but I have to go to work in like 2 minutes.
Image
[8:18:42 AM] Joh Terraem: Cori, I've always found your encyclopedic knowledge of dicks to be quite charming and repulsive at the same time

OshaliteX2
user-title-y thing
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:21 am
Location: Mossdeep City. Where else? LITTLEROOT TOWN?!?! HA!!!

Re: Fire Emblem

Post by OshaliteX2 »

Cori wrote:
OshaliteX2 wrote: But in my eyes, the main gameplay and story still takes priority over whatever-shipping.

I have a hard time believing that when the latter part of the game involves recruiting everyone's future shipping-spawn. Honestly, I feel like the entire Awakening story could have been done--and done better--without the 'future children going back in time' bullcrockery.

And, you're right when you say that the game skims over support conversations up to the baby part. It's because the devs didn't have any designated couples that they could focus on writing a budding romance for. That's why the C, B, and A rank supports read mostly (with the exception of a few characters) "platonic, platonic, platonic" and then suddenly S rank is "HEY LET'S BUMP UGLIES" In older games, some characters could wind up romantically involved by the end of the game, but all of their support conversations leading up to that were able to SHOW how their relationship was developing. Seth and Natasha's support conversations from Sacred Stones are pretty cute, not gonna lie.

The romance is just contrived, that's how I feel. I'd write more but I have to go to work in like 2 minutes.
Ooohhhhh!
Okay I gotcha. The part about having to recruit everyone's future spawn seems really... forced. Is that the right word? That kind of thing doesn't happen in Fates, so if that's what you meant by the game obsessing over them I think that I get your point now.
That sudden S-rank romance spike is something I've noticed. I never really thought about it since these were my first FE games, but now that you put it into context of the past games it does seem like something that could've been done better.
ImageFeed me lemons or feed me life!Image Image
*not meant to be taken bodaciously

Post Reply