General Game Gabbin'

Beep beep boop
User avatar
Transdude1996
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:24 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Re: General Game Gabbin'

Post by Transdude1996 »

Great Handsome Oppressor wrote:What a vile misrepresentation of the actual point of that thread, which is that Hashino is a homophobic and transphobic piece of shit. If he gets fired I won't miss him, but the purpose of the thread was clearly to tell people "here's what's up with that dude and how you can tell Atlus this ain't cool". Do not misrepresent someone's words again with sensationalistic clickbait-like posts.
But, you just said right there that the point of the thread is to get the guy fired, for expressing views in Japanese games, that he has as a Japanese man, and are common opinions in country of Japan.
Great Handsome Oppressor wrote:Besides, saying "Resetera" is doing something is like saying "Awkward Zombie", or hell, "Twitter" is doing X or Y. It doesn't work like that. It's a forum with a lot of different people with different opinions. I am sure some people there want Hashino to get fired, but saying "Resetera" as a whole wants that is simply not a fact.
And, the fact that I made bothered to make a couple posts pointing out their hypocrisy, and immediately getting banned on the third one for questioning the entire purpose of that thread certainly doesn't show that the site only caters to a select group of clients?

User avatar
Shad
being a gentleman is my jojob
Posts: 15300
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:43 am

Re: General Game Gabbin'

Post by Shad »

The point of the thread is to tell people Hashino things horrible things. That these opinions may be shared by a large number of people does not make them right or acceptable in any way. They are transphobia, homophobia, fatphobia, and should always be pointed out and criticized. The point of that thread is to inform people about the horrible thing Hashino has put/ allowed into his games, and to urge people to hold Hashino and Atlus responsible for that shit.
And personally, I think Hashino SHOULD be afraid of losing his job for putting awful shit in his games, because I want him to do better. Gross bigotry has no place in media.

Hashino being Japanese, or Japan being a country with a relatively low crime rate, has NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NO BEARING, on how unacceptable Hashino's bigotry is. Who cares if he's from Japan? That doesn't magically make his bullshit acceptable, period. Japan isn't particularly more accepting of LGBT+ folks, or fat folks, than most other countries. People who create media ought to be held to a certain standard when it comes to social issues, and that has fuck-all to do with these creators' nationalities. Hashino being Japanese doesn't magically make it morally okay for him to be a bigot.

"cultural sensibilities which are common IN JAPAN"… so what? Again, that these opinions may be shared by a large number of people does not make them right or acceptable in any way. It's important - critical, even - to challenge the "normalcy" of these ideas because they are actively harmful and dangerous towards LGBT+ folks.

Excusing Hashino's bigotry on the basis that other people agree with him is weak-ass dogshit reasoning. That guy hates us and isn't shy about saying it in his big-budget games, so he can eat my shit.
Besides, if you really think it's just "damn Americans being the thought police", you're a fool. Hashino's bigotry isn't exclusive to Japan, and whoever, wherever it comes from, it hurts people in Japan and outside of Japan.

Decker
turns everyone into furries
Posts: 6668
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:14 pm
Location: 7 out of 10 on the gender binary

Re: General Game Gabbin'

Post by Decker »

Transdude1996 wrote:all that shit
nothing i can ever say will be a bigger burn than all that shit you just said followed immediately by this signature

Image

User avatar
Transdude1996
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:24 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Re: General Game Gabbin'

Post by Transdude1996 »

MOD EDIT: Removed links to awful websites full of anti-gay lies that littered this post. seriously, fuck this guy for making me read these things.
Great Handsome Oppressor wrote:The point of the thread is to tell people Hashino things horrible things. That these opinions may be shared by a large number of people does not make them right or acceptable in any way. They are transphobia, homophobia, fatphobia, and should always be pointed out and criticized.
First, a "phobia" implies that you're afraid of something, not that you object to it. Second, what's wrong with someone having an issue with transgender and fat people? In the former, it is brainwashing mentally unhealthy individuals that unless you go through an expensive procedure that destroys your sex organs, and pump your body full of chemicals and hormones, you will never find peace and happiness in life. Last I remember learning when I was growing up, we were suppose to "accept who we are" and learn to live with it, and that attempting to change ourselves into something else is a completely destructive venture.

As for the latter case (fat people), what's wrong with encouraging people to practice healthy eating habits, to remain active in your life, to keep yourself clean and practice proper hygiene, and to appear respectful and upstanding to the people around you (Especially to people you don't know)?
Great Handsome Oppressor wrote:The point of that thread is to inform people about the horrible thing Hashino has put/ allowed into his games, and to urge people to hold Hashino and Atlus responsible for that shit.
But, both Atlus and Hashino are Japanese. Why is it wrong for them to expressing their Japanese viewpoints? Isn't that what diversity is suppose to be about? People coming from different backgrounds, regions, and lifestyles, and expressing the opinions that they've come to believe through their life experiences? Doesn't it go against the very idea of "diversity" to silence people just because they're of the "wrong" skin color or express an "unpopular" belief?
Great Handsome Oppressor wrote:And personally, I think Hashino SHOULD be afraid of losing his job for putting awful shit in his games, because I want him to do better. Gross bigotry has no place in media.
How is any of this bigotry?
Great Handsome Oppressor wrote:Hashino being Japanese, or Japan being a country with a relatively low crime rate, has NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NO BEARING, on how unacceptable Hashino's bigotry is. Who cares if he's from Japan? That doesn't magically make his bullshit acceptable, period. Japan isn't particularly more accepting of LGBT+ folks, or fat folks, than most other countries. People who create media ought to be held to a certain standard when it comes to social issues, and that has fuck-all to do with these creators' nationalities. Hashino being Japanese doesn't magically make it morally okay for him to be a bigot.
Wait, you want the guy to be fired and, much more, have his country to lose their LOW crime rate, DECREASING national debt, PRESERVED cultural heritage and customs, and GLOBALLY SUCCESSFUL entertainment just because YOU ARE OFFENDED?
Great Handsome Oppressor wrote:"cultural sensibilities which are common IN JAPAN"… so what? Again, that these opinions may be shared by a large number of people does not make them right or acceptable in any way. It's important - critical, even - to challenge the "normalcy" of these ideas because they are actively harmful and dangerous towards LGBT+ folks.
I don't see how one country's views are detrimental towards a group that treats their sexual lifestyle as a cultural identity. Much less, how that same country is responsible for over 70% of homosexuals being pedophiles (Source), 40-70% of serial killers being homosexuals (Source), over 60% of HIVs and AIDs spread through gay sex(Source), that nearly 80% of gays have sex with complete strangers (Source), that over 75% of gays have relationships with over 100 partners (Source), that children raised in homosexual households often fair worse (Source), and the LGBT community overall being "less pop flyin'" than the average person (Source) with social stigma havings absolutely NOTHING to do with it (Source).
Great Handsome Oppressor wrote:Excusing Hashino's bigotry on the basis that other people agree with him is weak-ass dogshit reasoning. That guy hates us and isn't shy about saying it in his big-budget games, so he can eat my shit.
Point to me WHERE Hashino has ever said, "I hate homosexuals, the LGBTQ+ community, and anyone who has sexual relations with those of the same sex." As far as I know, the guy probably holds the same Japanese viewpoint that homosexuals are unproductive members of society (Source). And, I don't see why that's so outrageous when Japan also sees the otaku as an "unproductive member of society" (Source).
Great Handsome Oppressor wrote:Besides, if you really think it's just "damn Americans being the thought police", you're a fool. Hashino's bigotry isn't exclusive to Japan, and whoever, wherever it comes from, it hurts people in Japan and outside of Japan.
How? So far, you've made it very clear that you want a man to get fired, and his entire country reduced to rubble, just because you're offended over therm taking advantage of their right to express their diverse opinion. Doesn't that make YOU the guilty party in this entire affair?

User avatar
Turbro
Master of Seduction
Posts: 5213
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:11 pm

Re: General Game Gabbin'

Post by Turbro »

Holy shit you really are going to all these lengths just to justify someone in a position of power saying that gay people and trans people are bad
all those fucking sources
wait a minute you think "this homophobe/transphobe should lose is job" is an attack on you, personally, because you are also a homophobe/transphobe. Get fucked, my guy.

starburst98
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:01 am

Re: General Game Gabbin'

Post by starburst98 »

i'm reading the wiki on the characters they say are problematic, and i don't see anything? such as the wiki specifically says that Kanji's sexuality is a hotly debated thing, meaning the game makes it ambiguous enough that it can be debated. which is a far cry from the thread saying the game goes "whoops he was straight all along, hahaha"

User avatar
Shad
being a gentleman is my jojob
Posts: 15300
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:43 am

Re: General Game Gabbin'

Post by Shad »

Congrats Transdude1996 on the ban. That's what happens when you debate with bad faith arguments such as "um it's okay to hate trans people and you're the real bigot :) most gay people are pedophiles btw! here's a link to a website ran by homophobes!" Way to completely misrepresent my point and call me a racist who wants the destruction of Japan just because I said bigotry is bad, btw. God, you really disgust me. I won't give you the satisfaction of debating your """arguments""".
You know the things you defend aren't true and yet you say these things because you want to hurt people. Go back to your WrongThink account or your GamerGate steam group.
starburst98 wrote:i'm reading the wiki on the characters they say are problematic, and i don't see anything? such as the wiki specifically says that Kanji's sexuality is a hotly debated thing, meaning the game makes it ambiguous enough that it can be debated. which is a far cry from the thread saying the game goes "whoops he was straight all along, hahaha"
Kanji's sexuality is debated because the game does a piss-poor job of treating the character with care and respect, not because they're ambiguous about it. The thing is, after Kanji's dungeon, the game goes out of its way to make him look like a Good Straight Boy who just happens to like cute things.
Like, hey, there are interesting things to say about men and their relationship with cute things and things that are usually linked to femininity, just like how Kanji likes to make cute plushies and the like. But the game starts by presenting Kanji has a guy who has a crush on someone he believes to be another boy, and so it's immensely disappointing to see them completely backtrack on that and act like Kanji was just confused, instead of yknow... openly having a gay or bi character and embracing him as is.

Instead we get Gay Panic Yosuke and Sexual Harassment Teddie. Ugh.

And yes, dungeons in Persona 4 are half-based on "who the character really is", and half-based on "what the character is afraid of being seen as". But in that case, Kanji isn't afraid of being perceived as gay. Kanji is afraid of being perceived as a predatory, perverted, overly sexual person, which would make a lot more sense for a gay character, because that's still how some people (like that piece of shit I just banned) view gay people.

God, and what a cop-out it was to have him have a crush on Naoto of all characters. Because having Naoto be "actually a girl" magically makes his crush Not Gay No More, right? Fucking hell I can't believe I loved this game at some point.

There's nothing subtle or ambiguous in regards to characterization in Persona 4. None of the subtext matters because the game goes out of its way to spell out who and what the characters are as an absolute truth. It's a damn mess, a mess that had potential, but squandered it out by making sure to tell you the characters were all Cis And Straight in the eyes of the writing team.

Bestia
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:01 pm

Re: General Game Gabbin'

Post by Bestia »

Guys, what games do you play during the pandemic?

Billius
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:36 am

Re: General Game Gabbin'

Post by Billius »

During the pandemic, I decided to get a little nostalgic and play some old NES games. I especially enjoyed playing hack of Who wants to be a millionaire again. I am amused by the fact that gambling used to look different than it does now on the internet. 888casino.com. It's cool to remember the past. I advise everyone to plunge back into their childhood.

Post Reply