General Game Gabbin'

Beep beep boop
Operation Awesome

Re: General Game Gabbin'

Post by Operation Awesome »

Liraxus wrote:The controller being unlike other controllers looks...well, disturbing, but thats probably why most people are worried about it, it looks unfamiliar to that beautiful Xbox 360 controller design we all know and love.
see, the thing about pretty much every standard controller is that you can easily operate the XYAB buttons (or equivalents) with one thumb, and still move with the other thumb

look at that Valve controller and tell me how that will be possible. I'll wait.

This controller looks like it was designed by a group of people who just slap a bunch of features down and use their community as a bunch of unpaid testers.
So in other words it looks like something Valve would make

Operation Awesome

Malum wrote:How do you know you can't easily reach across the touchpad and hit the buttons? There are no pictures of anyone holding it or using it.
because I'm a human being with rudimentary spatial awareness and unless that controller is a third of the size of a 360/dualshock/Pro controller then those face buttons are easily more than an inch away from one another

Madican
No face

Post by Madican »

Just because you can reach it doesn't mean it's going to be comfortable reaching for it repeatedly.

I have big hands and I'd never try reaching the D-pad on my Xbox controller with my right hand. That's not comfortable or intuitive.
Stuff goes here later.

Operation Awesome

"It's physically possible to hit the buttons when they're far away" does not in any way mean "it's a good idea to place the buttons a million miles apart in the center like a load of fuckups"

It's physically possible for me to punch a hole in my bedroom wall. But as it turns out I like the bones in my hand, and I also like my wall.

Mr. Mander
how much is a score

Post by Mr. Mander »

Malum has a point. On the Portal 2 mapping layout the primary gameplay functions were mapped to the trigger buttons and the weird back-of-the-handle buttons, places where your fingers would be resting in a natural grip. ABXY were mapped to secondary functions like gestures and push to talk.

I don't think we'd even be having this discussion if Valve hadn't labelled those buttons ABXY. We just assume they're important because we associate those lettered buttons with importance.

Barabba

Post by Barabba »

The bugfix mod I installed causes the game to crash on start-up ;_;
天生萬物以養人

人無一善以報天

殺殺殺殺殺殺殺

Kamak
Riku's other favorite

Post by Kamak »

WWHD Limited Edition is back in stock on Gamestop's website, so if you want your stupid sexy Ganondorf figure, get on it now.
-K-
ImageImage

Guyperson
Location: Himawari will never give up, never hide, never be defeated, never accept evil

Post by Guyperson »

I assume the steam controller was play tested or at least thought out in some way, and that the button thing isn't problematic. But I could be wrong and it is as bad as we can imagine.
AwkwardSkeleton wrote:This is just crying out to be a signature.

Kamak
Riku's other favorite

Post by Kamak »

I bet the design only went through 2 drafts though.
-K-
ImageImage

Guyperson
Location: Himawari will never give up, never hide, never be defeated, never accept evil

Post by Guyperson »

Speaking of which, I heard they were gonna add a third track pad, when is it gonna come out?

Also in Wii U news, I have been gifted one early because the giftee was afraid they would be out of stock on Black Friday and heard I was getting games now. I now have: a standard WU with Nintendo Land and an extra controller, combined with the three games I purchased at Target. I am debating waiting until christmas.

Operation Awesome

Guyperson wrote:I now have: a standard WU
your gifter done fucked up

EDIT: unless by "standard" you mean "not WWHD special edition"

Guyperson

Post by Guyperson »

By standard I mean "Not WWHD special edition". It came with a gamepad+nintendoland+all the necessary cables, and the gifter also bought a second controller (not gamepad). I don't know how much less standard or more standard that gets.

Madican
No face

Post by Madican »

Can the WiiU even run more than one gamepad? I remember that was one of the cons it had when announced.
Stuff goes here later.

Operation Awesome

Madican wrote:Can the WiiU even run more than one gamepad? I remember that was one of the cons it had when announced.
It CAN, but the pads are so expensive that no games currently support it.

...how did they BUY a second pad? you're not supposed to be able to.

Kamak
Riku's other favorite

Post by Kamak »

They're both good options.

I mean, if you get the Nintendoland bundle, you can just buy WWHD, and if you get the WWHD bundle, you should also have Nintendoland.

I mean, you'll miss out on the Zelda book, but some people want that physical anyways.
Madican wrote:Can the WiiU even run more than one gamepad? I remember that was one of the cons it had when announced.
It can't currently without latency issues, and as far as I remember, they don't even sell separate gamepads outside of Japan.

They probably mean a Pro Controller or a Wiimote+
-K-
ImageImage