The Nintendo Switch thread

Beep beep boop
Wesley Foxx

Re: The Nintendo Switch thread

Post by Wesley Foxx »

You say that like a bunch of PC games don't have subscription fees or require you to host the multiplayer games yourself. :V

Cori
jackie chan jackie chan jackie chan jackie chan jackie chan

Post by Cori »

Sure a bunch of them do.

But a bunch of them don't.

:V
[8:18:42 AM] Joh Terraem: Cori, I've always found your encyclopedic knowledge of dicks to be quite charming and repulsive at the same time

Wesley Foxx

Post by Wesley Foxx »

And a bunch of switch games will have no need for online stuff. Unless I'm assuming wildly wrong and they're just aiming a shotgun at their faces by not offering the ability to buy and/or update games off the internet without paying, which I doubt, because I know you can at least interact with your friends online without paying, so its not like you can't do anything online whatsoever with it without a subscription. Who feels like dredging up the "what can free vs paid stuff do" itemization chart, I'm too lazy.

Kamak
Riku's other favorite

Post by Kamak »

Wesley Foxx wrote:And a bunch of switch games will have no need for online stuff. Unless I'm assuming wildly wrong and they're just aiming a shotgun at their faces by not offering the ability to buy and/or update games off the internet without paying, which I doubt, because I know you can at least interact with your friends online without paying, so its not like you can't do anything online whatsoever with it without a subscription. Who feels like dredging up the "what can free vs paid stuff do" itemization chart, I'm too lazy.
Outside of whatever friend list features the switch has (which is not present in the UI) you won't be able to interact with friends online on the system in any meaningful way. The chart (which is on page 3) says you can register and "manage" your friends without a subscription, likely meaning what you can already do with the 3DS friend list. But online chat and gaming are sectioned off. Which is why there is a companion app for all of that for paying users.

You will have access to the eShop, so you can purchase and update games. And the ability to recieve game news and system updates. And that's about it for free online stuff.

Currently there are no plans for streaming apps on the system so we don't know if they fall outside the net or not (Microsoft got in deep shit for requiring Xbox Live to access Netflix). We also don't seem to have an internet browser on the switch though its existence hasn't been directly disproven, just missing from the usual spot in the UI.
-K-
ImageImage

Cori
jackie chan jackie chan jackie chan jackie chan jackie chan

Post by Cori »

And a bunch of switch games will have no need for online stuff
A bunch of pc games have no need for online stuff either. I'd rather not go all "pc master race" and all but the PC has free online, a wide variety of single and multiplayer games, extensive modular capabilities, and is cheaper in the long run even if you spend a lot of cheddar for better hardware.

Nintendo has Nintendo stuff, which is cool and all, but they sort of just lost one of their big console-gaming selling points by wanting subscription fees for online play.
[8:18:42 AM] Joh Terraem: Cori, I've always found your encyclopedic knowledge of dicks to be quite charming and repulsive at the same time

Kamak
Riku's other favorite

Post by Kamak »

The only real tried and true advantage consoles have had compared to PC since their advent has been plug and play. Free internet was often more restrictive than what you could do with PC in regards to servers and settings. They're certainly not more portable than a laptop, and access to proletariats means more freedom for PC users.

Considering this gen has grown to make even plug and play a hard defense (even Wii U had a lengthy setup and update out of the box for many releases), here's hoping Switch has at least that still going for it.
-K-
ImageImage

Wesley Foxx

Post by Wesley Foxx »

I am very much pc mustard race and whatnot, which is all the more reason why I tend to support Nintendo because they're the only ones doing shit I can't already do on my computer. Where I have free online for most things and pay subscription fees for others when I feel like they're worth it and stop paying when I'm not getting my cheddar's worth.

[Citation Needed]
I'll cite your sources

Post by [Citation Needed] »

I like the Switch but I won't get it until at least Splatoon 2.

Maybe then it'll be worth it. Launch day? Meh. I can get BOTW on Wii U.

NOW FIGHT ME AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGHGGHHH
Lordy wrote:i also fear you
Rinoko wrote:You old saggy titted witch

Liraxus
a title saying "CLODS!"

Post by Liraxus »

Wesley Foxx wrote:I am very much pc mustard race and whatnot, which is all the more reason why I tend to support Nintendo because they're the only ones doing shit I can't already do on my computer. Where I have free online for most things and pay subscription fees for others when I feel like they're worth it and stop paying when I'm not getting my cheddar's worth.
Pretty much this. The day I see Mario move over to PC is the day gaming has changed for me. I still think the Wii was horribly underutilized for potentially making a fantastic FPS with free aim movement.

Wesley Foxx

Post by Wesley Foxx »

I've been playing TTYD on my computer since the Gamecube is out on the porch where it's too goddamn cold in the winter. While Mario is awesome, even on a PC, I'd be playing that stuff with my dual stick because I cannot imagine trying to play 3D Mario stuff with a keyboard.

OshaliteX2
user-title-y thing
Location: Mossdeep City. Where else? LITTLEROOT TOWN?!?! HA!!!

Post by OshaliteX2 »

Hey guys the Switch online apparently is less than 30$ per year.
I think that's pretty good, personally.
Vid (THANKS KAMAK):
Last edited by OshaliteX2 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
ImageFeed me lemons or feed me life!Image Image
*not meant to be taken bodaciously

Kamak
Riku's other favorite

Post by Kamak »

Take the s off http
-K-
ImageImage

Airra

Post by Airra »

So, it's still a punch to the face, but it's like one of those wimpy punches without a proper follow-through that even someone in as poor a condition as I can handle.
Don't blame me; I voted for Kodos.

Kamak
Riku's other favorite

Post by Kamak »

Well we won't know how good the service is until it launches and probably not a good feel for the value of the app until Splatoon 2.

The pricing seems to be as low as they can get away with without being laughably inane or industry standard.

The situation still reads a bit like Pokemon Bank where the annual fee is assessed not because the service requires the cheddar necessarily for upkeep (though undoubtedly some cheddar is going to that and to the update for Sun and Moon) but primarily to futureproof it. When they talked about previous experiments with Pokemon management and apps, Pokemon execs said that Pokemon Box was too expensive as a one time charge for people to generally justify the purchase, and while they intended to futureproof My Pokemon Ranch with updates for each release, people on the investor's board saw no reason to update an app that wasn't drawing in revenue continuously. This in part was also the death of the free 3D Pokedex app to entice early adopters of the 3DS during Gen 5.

People who invest cheddar in a company don't like the company spending cheddar to placate customers without getting some cheddar back. Pokemon Bank gets around this by having a low annual fee so that all current subscribers are paying something into the system toensure it's a revenue stream and will be unlikely to be shut down. By the same tokenthe Nintendo paid online gets cheddar so there is incentive to ensure people stay subscribed andare pop flyin' with the service including connection time, lag, etc. (At least on Nintendo's end).

Not that the two situations are entirely the same but that there is a similar vibe in how despite the ability to charge higher amounts of cheddar, lower amounts are prioritized presumably to satisfy consumers.
-K-
ImageImage

Airra

Post by Airra »

Nintendo Switch game cartridges are intentionally designed to taste awful to discourage young children from trying to eat them. Do not lick your Nintendo Switch game cartridges; you will regret it.

That said, post stories of your experiences testing the taste of a Nintendo Switch game cartridge once everything is available.
Don't blame me; I voted for Kodos.