The Nintendo Switch thread

Beep beep boop
D-vid

Re: The Nintendo Switch thread

Post by D-vid »

Paid online? Absolutely disgusting. That's a step backwards Nintendo.

Airra

Post by Airra »

Still not pop flyin' about paid online, but they're apparently going to have NES and SNES games on a free trial each month with the service, and something about those games having added online play.
Don't blame me; I voted for Kodos.

Shad
being a gentleman is my jojob

Post by Shad »

I will never again pay a single cent to unlock online features that should come with the console and its games for free.

Petah-Petah

Post by Petah-Petah »

Getting it for Xenoblade 2 and Mario. Too bad online's paid tho.

3DS friendcode: 3093-7064-2767
Wii U username: Petah-Petah
Switch FC: 1503-9360-2243
PS4 user id: Pettah-Pettah

D-vid

Post by D-vid »

That new RPG from Squareenix looks nice. The sprites have that oldschool FF style from the good ol' days.

DarkSurfer
Ordo Hereticus

Post by DarkSurfer »

Important information regarding their online service, it wont cost anything until Fall 2017, so you can play online for free until then. I've personally never saw an issue with subscription services for online play, dedicated servers cost cheddar to run. P2P runs like shit (see GTA online) and player hosted servers woild cost for for bandwitdth anyway.

Cori
jackie chan jackie chan jackie chan jackie chan jackie chan

Post by Cori »

The lobby, monthly game and exclusive deals are things I wouldn't mind being an extra service. But online gameplay in general? A free trial only? After YEARS of free online gameplay?

Also, what's the point of having access to friend lists and the like if you can't...you know....play GAMES with those friends...
[8:18:42 AM] Joh Terraem: Cori, I've always found your encyclopedic knowledge of dicks to be quite charming and repulsive at the same time

Wesley Foxx

Post by Wesley Foxx »

Maybe you can but only with friends? I dunno. It's only supposed to be something like $9 a month, which is somewhere between low and average, and again, they compensate you with additional games. Considering the console itself is only $299 and its free for the first half year (and I wouldn't be remotely surprised if you got some subscription time bundled in with new systems and online-heavy games like what WoW does), that's honestly not bad at all.

Cori

Post by Cori »

"Only" $299

You don't have bills to pay, huh.
[8:18:42 AM] Joh Terraem: Cori, I've always found your encyclopedic knowledge of dicks to be quite charming and repulsive at the same time

OshaliteX2
user-title-y thing
Location: Mossdeep City. Where else? LITTLEROOT TOWN?!?! HA!!!

Post by OshaliteX2 »

From the general tone of this discussion I'm pretty sure nobody's pop flyin' about paid online. I know I'm not, but at least this could mean better servers...? Eh? Ehhhh??
I have no clue that's why I'm asking.
ImageFeed me lemons or feed me life!Image Image
*not meant to be taken bodaciously

Fordicon98

Post by Fordicon98 »

I think, yeah, the reason they are doing this is for dedicated servers since trying to use just random wifi with a portable console will mean reaaaally shitty connection speeds (I think, I'm not entirely a tech wiz here). Of course, most people probably won't use any of the online features while on the go (or probably bring their console with them period, that's just asking for thievery) and there's no telling if the dedicated servers will be any better than just using regular wifi. I really hope they consider changing this before release.

Even if the paid online is as cheap as what Wesley is saying, thats like 10 bucks a month, which becomes 120 a year, on top of the initial 300 price tag and the 60 or so for each new game. Screw that.
Something something butts

D-vid

Post by D-vid »

Cori wrote:"Only" $299

You don't have bills to pay, huh.
Compared to every other console on the market and considering it comes with 2 controllers by nature, that is pretty cheap.

Cori

Post by Cori »

Yeah, but how expensive will it become after paying for years of online subscriptions? Nintendo's lately had a reputation for being the "affordable" console and extra fees are going to make it just as much of a cheddar sink as its competitors.

If folks want to pay extra for exclusive content and voice chats and private lobbies, that's all well and good. But asking people to suddenly pay for a service that's been FREE on older models for the past 10+ years is farcical.

Plus, let's not forget that a lot of people aren't going to get the Switch right away. Some folks will be waiting until later in the year, when more games come out--and by that time, Nintendo's "online play free trial" will be almost expired.

Airra

Post by Airra »

Don't blame me; I voted for Kodos.

SaintCrazy
The Real Ghost Blues

Post by SaintCrazy »

Welp I just won't go online then. Online multiplayer was never Nintendo's strong suit anyway.

I will probably still look into getting one just for Breath of the Wild. Hot daisies that trailer was amazing.
↑ Let's kick the beat. ♫ (shuffle for best results) ↑