Beep beep boop
Liraxus
a title saying "CLODS!"

The Nintendo Switch thread

Post by Liraxus »

HO BOY THE NX FINALLY GOT REVEALED

Notable details
Zelda: Breath of the Wild NX port confirmed
The NX switches from a console to a handheld, think of the handheld version as a portable Wii U
It seems like the NX will use cartridges slightly larger than DS cartridges.
The sides of the handheld mode slide off, think of it as holding two nunchuks for some games.
There will be a port of Skyrim to the Switch.
The system has a pro controller, possibly bundled?
Mario Kart 8 will be on the system, this practically confirms Wii U backwards compatibility.
NBA 2K17 will get a port.
HEYOOOO A NEW MARIO GAME, looks like a mix of Mario 3D World and Galaxy, you can triple jump, and the levels look much more open, not to mention very outlandish but interesting for a mainstream Mario title.
Splatoon will be playable on the system, there seemed to be a huge tournament going on, maybe they want Splatoon to go MLG?

The system comes out March 2017, what are your thoughts? I'm both hesitant and excited, I'm all down for Skyrim on the go, but my worry is battery life and a consistent framerate.

Shad
being a gentleman is my jojob

Re: The Nintendo Switch thread

Post by Shad »

The Mario Kart and Splatoon games showed do look like MK8 and Splatoon on the surface, but considering MK had a different items UI, new karts and King Boo, and Splatoon had completely different levels and new customization options like pants and haircuts, it's widely possible this isn't backward compatibility at all. Could be concepts for MK9 and Splatoon 2, could be exclusive content for Switch ports of the games.

That said the console looks real neat! Cool concept. Much like everyone else I'm worried about the battery life of both the controllers and the portable screen. I fear it's gonna be more pricey than the WiiU as well.

Fordicon98

Post by Fordicon98 »

I don't know how people are supposed to use the sides as controllers, they look like half the size of a Wiimote

My big fat hands are going to like break it in half
Something something butts

Wesley Foxx

Post by Wesley Foxx »

I'm hyped. My question regarding battery life is mostly "are these side controller things chargeable or do they still take external batteries?" because I'm the sort of person who if possible will most likely play it laying in bed with it plugged into a wall socket.

Airra

Post by Airra »

Don't blame me; I voted for Kodos.

The Nightman
Not actually a granny

Post by The Nightman »

The Switch looks really neat and I'm pretty hyped for it. What I'm worried about are its specs. When in mobile mode, it looked like the framerate in Breath of The Wild went down. I don't know if that's because the docking station has some sort of GPU type thing in it or if the Tegra chip in the Switch underclocks to save on battery when in mobile mode. Likely the latter. Still seems neat, but with lower power compared to the other major consoles, I'm kinda worried still about third party support.

Le Great Handsome Oppressor wrote:
That said the console looks real neat! Cool concept. Much like everyone else I'm worried about the battery life of both the controllers and the portable screen. I fear it's gonna be more pricey than the WiiU as well.
I heard $350 is the rumored price of it, which sounds pretty good to me as long as the hardware is actually decent.
[Citation Needed] wrote:I am the most least quotable person.

D-vid

Post by D-vid »

Friend of mine said that the Switch is basically a further developed nVidia Shield, which means it could be able to stream your PC on it.
Until they officially announce that Skyrim is gonna be a Switch game, I choose to believe that. (Let me dream)

Kitsune Dzelda

Post by Kitsune Dzelda »

Eh, sounds nice, probably wont buy it until its been out for awhile. Eggs not ready yet.

Ill let eveyrone else go nuts over it first, then maybe see if its good once people have broken it in for awhile. From what Im hearing though, probably not. Well see.
WHERE IS THIS MERLIN I KEEP HEARING OF

What harm could come from imprisoning a hellinternet beast every night and making it hate humanity and what it stands for?
Then we can release it back into the wild.

Petah-Petah

Post by Petah-Petah »

Liraxus wrote: There will be a port of Skyrim to the Switch.
Or not
While Bethesda's much beloved Skyrim was clearly shown during Nintendo's Switch reveal video, the publisher told us today that it's not officially confirming the game just yet. "We're pop flyin' to have had the opportunity to collaborate with Nintendo on the video. While we are not confirming any specific titles at this time, we are pleased to announce our partnership with Nintendo and support of the Switch. We look forward to revealing specific games and details in the future," a spokesperson said. Skyrim Remastered is set to launch on October 28 for Xbox One, PS4 and PC; perhaps the Switch will receive a version of the Remastered game at launch?

3DS friendcode: 3093-7064-2767
Wii U username: Petah-Petah
Switch FC: 1503-9360-2243
PS4 user id: Pettah-Pettah

LucarioLuvsMinecraft
Location: I'm currently stuck on the Storm Continent. Would you like some dried berries?

Post by LucarioLuvsMinecraft »

I don't see where the disc goes. Switch64.
McShyGuy The Helping Toast Fairy wrote:YEAH TOAST!
This page needs more Nosecone. It does not stand up to my Nosecone to Non-Nosecone ratio.
Also my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0RJ4t ... 3qsqNTnEqw

Airra

Post by Airra »

It uses cartridges like all sane people should be using.
Don't blame me; I voted for Kodos.

flame_warp

Post by flame_warp »

D-vid wrote:Friend of mine said that the Switch is basically a further developed nVidia Shield, which means it could be able to stream your PC on it.
At the end shot of spla2n (or whatever it is) it actually did genuinely seem like they were playing on PCs.

Whether that means anything or not, I don't know, but it's possible.
today's nonsense of the day: is cancelled.

Shad
being a gentleman is my jojob

Post by Shad »

They're just plugging their Switches on the docking stations that are plugged to the screen in front of 'em, no PC in sight.

Kitsune Dzelda

Post by Kitsune Dzelda »

I dont know though, from what Ive seen, something doesnt feel right with this console.

Call it a hunch. But I think Im gonna call bullshit on the clarity of those pictures. A handheld is not capable of that. Although my biggest pronlem si why theyr emakretign that as a console when obviously its a handheld :/ Are they just merging both into one package at this point? itd make sense form a cheddar standpoint, because then I dont need ot spend for two things, just one, which makes the apparent price of 350 sound somewhat more reasonable.

But on the other hand, I dont know if you could do soemthing like that in a thing that small :/ Switch will either end up switching it up, or getting us switched :/
WHERE IS THIS MERLIN I KEEP HEARING OF

What harm could come from imprisoning a hellinternet beast every night and making it hate humanity and what it stands for?
Then we can release it back into the wild.

SaintCrazy
The Real Ghost Blues

Post by SaintCrazy »

I really like the idea of combining portability with more console power. It's been a while since we've had a new idea from Nintendo that really felt promising and seamless and non-gimmicky.

I won't say I'm hyped per se, but I am interested, which is more than I could've said for the Wii U. Especially because it seems easy to use, doesn't have weird off-the-wall unnecessary features (it appears they're doing away with touchscreen and motion control? That or they're choosing to emphasize the typical gaming experience over those), and it looks like it will have some robust release titles with Breath of the Wild and Skyrim.

I don't see why they would have the rights to show Skyrim gameplay if they weren't planning on porting it, and the timing seems right for Skyrim: Special Edition anyway. My guess is Bethesda just isn't allowed to announce anything yet. What I like about them skowing off Skyrim gameplay isn't so much about the game itself, it's more the possibility of more third-party AAA titles joining the Nintendo world as well. But for that we'll have to wait and see.

The make-it-or-break-it points for me:
-Actual performance. I'm not looking for 4K on this thing, but 1080p when hooked up to TV and and 720p mobile, along with good framerates, is good enough for me
-Battery life when mobile
-Simplicity. Don't make me buy a gazillion peripherals or have some always-online BS or something.
-Price
-Game Library

The other potentially interesting thing is that Nintendo could be looking to combine their home and mobile gaming platforms into one with the Switch. I would totally be down for some higher-res Pokemon and other previous DS titles. Even if it means losing the touchscreen.
↑ Let's kick the beat. ♫ (shuffle for best results) ↑