The Destiny Thread

Beep beep boop
BurntToShreds

The Destiny Thread

Post by BurntToShreds »

Destiny is Bungie's new game, set to launch on September 9th of next year. It's often been described as a "shared-world shooter".

Game Informer has a bunch of new details about the game in their latest issue. I'm gonna go through various stuff:

Basic story: The Traveler came to the solar system and gave humanity tons of stuff so they could expand. It "reshaped planets and moons" and taught humans about new technology and magic. Everything was golden for a while until the Traveler's enemy, Darkness, decided to wreak havoc, leading to the collapse. The Traveler saved a handful of humans and now the guardians (The player characters) are leaving humanity's last stronghold in an attempt to reclaim their legacy.

Your guardian's race is mostly cosmetic. There's the standard humans, The Awoken are a group of humans that survived the collapse "but were forever changed" (they're basically elves). The Exo are robots that were built during the golden age that were "rebooted with no memory of their original purpose." You can choose face, hair, and tattoos to mix and match.

The classes each have a focus, basically a sub-class. Each focus has twenty levels, which unlock new abilities and bonuses and such along the way. The focus is the meat and potatoes of the progression and each has a super ability. The gear you gain and equip can add on to specific focuses, and each class has a specific piece of gear that only they can use. Warlocks get robes, Titan's get badges/insignias that are painted onto their armor, and Hunters get cloaks. You can have three weapons equipped at a time. A primary, secondary, and a heavy. Any class can equip any weapon, but the focus you have may lean towards you using a specific weapon type.

Gear is divided into tiers: Basic, Common, Superior, and Exotic. You can only have one exotic weapon and one exotic armor piece equipped at a time, but you can carry as many of them as you want and switch between them whenever you want. Examples include a pulse rifle that has effects that trigger more frequently in competitive play, a sniper rifle that cloaks you when you zoom in, and a rocket launcher that deploys sentries at the site of the explosion. Exotic armor could be a helmet that might seriously reduce all the headshot damage you receive.

The classes are Warlock, Titan, and Hunter. The Warlock is basically a space wizard with magic abilities such as damage dealing, healing and buffing. The Titan is an armored warrior that focuses on getting in close and soaking up a lot of damage. It has abilities focused on that which add effects to abilities, like electricity or damage over time. The Hunter is a gunslinger which uses pistols and sniper rifles.

Each character also has a ghost, an AI companion in a floating metal device, a personal vehicle (basically a speeder bike) to get across wide open areas in a quick fashion, and a personal spaceship which is more cosmetic than anything.

The whole multiplayer aspect is summed up like this:
Game Informer Article wrote:Destiny has all players together in one massive world, and seeks to like you with small groups of other players at appropriate locations and times. "There's all these things going on i the spaces, and our hope is that players won't need to think about it." Technical Director Chris Butcher says. "It will just be a place to go, and that place is always filled with things to do and people to do them with"
The worlds have different spaces set up that allow for for a "fireteam" of up to three people to run through, that or you can go it alone. In those places other players won't show up to interrupt things. Then there are bigger areas where there's a big challenge, and that's when these fireteams converge into a big group battle against some powerful enemy or group of enemies. After that you can either choose to leave that public area and set out alone or with a group. These big areas are called public events. There are also random "public missions" that appear from time to time.

Competitive modes include a Control Point mode where your team gets score multipliers to their kills, assists, etc. based on how many of the capture points they have. There's a deathmatch mode where you get points for both kills and team revives. Guardians don't spawn in with heavy weapon ammo, but it spawns on the map at certain times. The maps all have a lot of verticality, which is good because you'll be using a bunch of your vertical movement modes given to you through focuses, from standard double jumps to teleports.
Burn 'em to shreds, tear 'em to ashes.

Mete

Re: The Destiny Thread

Post by Mete »

I really like Bungie and I'd like to give this a go but I'm not going to play the PS3/360 version, I have no plans of buying an Xbone or PS4, and they currently have no plans of releasing a PC version. So no Destiny for me.

Liraxus
a title saying "CLODS!"

Post by Liraxus »

Are there any issues with the 360/PS3 version?

Mete

Post by Mete »

No, it's just that if I have to choose between playing a gimped version of a game or not playing it at all, I'd rather go with the latter and wait for the opportunity to play the definitive version. In this case, wait a few years until I buy a PS4 or hope that they release it on PC.

BurntToShreds

Post by BurntToShreds »

They released a gameplay trailer today. I love the style of the HUD, nice and clean.

Also that music is pretty good. Makes me feel sadder that Marty got fired, though.

Blitz Walrus
Heavyweight Champion of the Forum

Post by Blitz Walrus »

Probably gonna be the raddest fuckin' thing ever, but it's not comin' out on anything I'd like.

iamthelordhitman
Sir Lurksalot
Location: I'm probably somewhere that you aren't, but you think I'm there, but you're not sure.

Post by iamthelordhitman »

ill actually have something to play on my ps4 again

yayyyyyyyy
this is my tf2 shit
Mr. Torgue wrote:OH SNAP, THE MONSTER I SENT YOU TO KILL, IS ACTUALLY A MONSTER TRUCK. PUNS MOTHER FUCKER.
3DS FC: 3625-8484-5988

BurntToShreds

Post by BurntToShreds »

Managed to play for a bit on the Moon, while it was available. It was pretty.

Shoolis

Post by Shoolis »

It's like Halo but in space!

Wait
This is for you King Ghidorah....

BurntToShreds

Post by BurntToShreds »

Soapbar

Post by Soapbar »

I might get this once I get an Xbone

If your wondering why I want to get an Xbone, it's because of the Phantom Dust reboot that was announced. I played the original Phantom Dust, and it was fucking awesome and I want the new one.

BurntToShreds

Post by BurntToShreds »

They released a video showing off the different competitive modes:

One thing that I just noticed again is that the game will be rated T. It's pretty refreshing to see a big-name AAA title have that rating.

BurntToShreds

Post by BurntToShreds »

Destiny's out now and I've been playing it for a while. The missions on the Moon are pretty interesting. One of them has you tracking down a cursed sword that's been used to kill tons of your fellow Guardians. You end up wielding the sword as part of a hack and slash segment where you mow down waves of enemies with it. it was definitely a welcome surprise.

I also love the flavor text on the gear and items in general. One of them reads "Warlocks are expected to maintain ceremonial robes. We cannot cede the sartorial struggle to the Hunters."

Reyo

Post by Reyo »

I'm surprised this threads not more popular...

Then again I've solo'd too many strikes to warrant surprise, so meh...

Game Angel wrote:"I have a penis but I'm not 100% sure it's a penis"