Let's Discuss the Pkmn TCG with Prof. Kamak: Revival!

Beep beep boop
Blitz Walrus
Heavyweight Champion of the Forum

Re: Let's Discuss the Pokemon TCG with Prof. Kamak (ROUND 1!

Post by Blitz Walrus »

Ho shit.
I forgot.
I've been here watching Scrublords.
Mai baaaad.
Can I have a sec plz?

Kamak
Riku's other favorite

Post by Kamak »

Alec might be forfeiting this round since their laptop charger broke.

Dunno if this will effect future rounds or not.
-K-
ImageImage

Tetrunes
Dances-With-Bots

Post by Tetrunes »

I would also forfiet if that is the case, it wouldn't be fair.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Tetrunes
Marcato wrote:How am I supposed to see tacos in these conditions?

Kamak
Riku's other favorite

Post by Kamak »

In light of some problems, I'm giving an extension to everyone to get matches in, so just get them in when you can.
-K-
ImageImage

Tetrunes
Dances-With-Bots

Post by Tetrunes »

I have my deck on bebessearch made now, so if alec gets ready, I am too.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Tetrunes
Marcato wrote:How am I supposed to see tacos in these conditions?

Blitz Walrus
Heavyweight Champion of the Forum

Post by Blitz Walrus »

Procrastination is a terrible thing children.
Ready now.

Liraxus
a title saying "CLODS!"

Dat Metagross promo

Post by Liraxus »

I'm bumping this because I am planning on going to a Plasma Freeze Pre-release event about 9 hours away from me, and I need a few questions answered.

1.Should I bring my collection? or are we litterally going to just use the decks we build out of our packs?

2.What in gods name is this and how many cards are in it.

3.What should I expect here?

Also, DAT METAGROSS

Kamak
Riku's other favorite

Post by Kamak »

You're traveling 9 hours for a pre-release?

You more cray than I am.

Anyways, good eye on that. I've been meaning to talk about Pre-releases for awhile, but whoops, real life!

Plasma Freeze Pre-release

Pre-releases are an event where you get get a hold of product before it hits store shelves (and often it's cheaper this way than buying from stores unless you're buying in bulk amounts). The dates for pre-releases are the 27th and 28th of April (this weekend), and the 4th and 5th of May. To find a pre-release near you, use this handy search feature. Under "premier event series" choose "Plasma Freeze Pre-release" and put in your location. Please note, I'm not sure when or if places outside of North America do their pre-releases. I know of a few countries that do it, and I'm pretty sure the UK has them, but I can't guarantee that your location will have any, but if you live in a country with pre-releases, you'll probably find plenty that are within reasonable distance to you.

Keep in mind, the cards you get at a pre-release are not considered legal for official tournaments until the set is released in stores on May 7th. This is to keep people from monopolizing on the cards before others have a chance to get them. I'm not sure if there are any tournaments happening during the pre-release tournament cycle, but it's something to keep in mind.

Like drafts, you are given 6 packs, and must build a 40 card deck out of only what you pull from those 6 packs and any basic energy you want (they will provide you with energy if you don't have any or enough, but be mindful that it's a loan, not a freebie). You will generally have only half an hour to do this, so while it seems like a lot of time, you should focus and get your deck built quickly so you don't have to throw it together at the end. You will also get a Promo card (in this case, Metagross) which is a reprint of a card within the set. Because of this, the promo card IS useable in your deck (as far as overarching legality is concerned. Some organizers don't let them count since it could skew what your booster pulls were, so be sure to check with them juuuust in case). You also get a cool deckbox featuring artwork from the set. This box is big enough to hold 60 sleeved cards in them (and is the box that Liraxus provided up above).

Pre-releases have 3 swiss rounds, meaning no one is eliminated, and in most cases, a clear winner isn't found. It's among the most basic tournaments, and since everyone is subjected to the random pulls, everyone is on a much more level playing field. Matches will be conducted normally, though with a 40 card deck, you will only be playing for 4 prizes.

Once you complete the 3 rounds, every player will receive two additional boosters (usually after they turn in their energy cards that they borrowed).

So, here's some things to keep in mind:

1. Check the price of the event. Most events cost $20-$30 to attend (in North America at least). Some events will cost you more depending on local prices or percieved demand, but it's usually pretty constant. If you click on the link to the event you want to attend on the search function I linked earlier, it should tell you the price of entering the pre-release. Be sure to have this cheddar in cash (most pre-releases don't deal with plastic, but they might be in a store that has an ATM or can give you cash back, try not to depend on this if you're not certain though), otherwise you may be refused entry.

2. You don't have to bring any cards, but you can bring some of your collection if you're hoping to trade. Nothing gets people more excited to trade than new cards, and if someone pulls a neat card that you just gotta have, having a guaranteed set of cards to trade with them helps. Be careful to not get sucked into bad trades though. Do some price checking, or if all else fails, ask other players or the professors and organizers running the event whether it's a good trade. There's a lot of knowledgeable people around, so don't be shy to ask.

3. If you bring stuff with you (or even if you don't), keep track of it, and put stuff in a backpack or tote of some kind. There's likely going to be tons of people in a location, moving around for matches, and it's easy to get distracted and leave your stuff behind, especially if it's a pile of stuff rather than one bag. You can also lose track of your bag though, so I suggest either hanging it behind your chair, setting it in your lap, or taking a strap from it and looping it around your leg (this way, if you attempt to leave the table, it'll tug on you and you'll remember. Or fall on your face. Either way, your stuff will be safe).

4. The event will probably last about 3 hours, possibly longer if complications happen. Be sure to arrive during registration, because if you're late, they might fill up and have no room for you, or sign ups will close. During this time, rounds won't be conducted strictly on a schedule, so a round could end in 5 minutes, or it could take 45 minutes. Do not depend on a round taking a long time, so be sure to stay close. This might mean bringing food or snacks with you because there may not be a definite lunch time for you to go drive/walk out and eat somewhere. Also, if you're not sure you can stay all of the rounds, be sure to let your organizer know. You are obligated to complete 1 round, but after that, you can withdraw as long as you tell the person running the event. Withdrawing early, depending on the organizer, may mean you don't get your last two packs, especially if they think you're quitting for being a bad sport or are just in the event for cheap cards. Generally though, they understand and you'll get your stuff without any hassle.

5. It's generally good to have a feel for the cards you get. Spread them out by type, cut out the Pokemon that can't be used (pre-evolutions not there, needs a card that isn't in the set/what you pulled, etc.), and narrow your choices down. In a pre-release, you generally want to focus on two-type decks (with colorless mixed in to help), so whichever types you have the most Pokemon in (and the most powerful ones too) should be your focus. 3 Type decks sometimes work, but it can hurt if you need too many types of energy.

6. Be a good sport. This is probably the most "no duh" rule, but I cannot stress this enough. This event is almost exclusively done for fun, and there's going to be a lot of excited kids around. Even if you get crap and some little annoying kid gets 3 EX cards, be polite. No one likes that one dude that's too serious and is an asshole because he pulled nothing but crap rares. Everyone's eventually going to be in that situation. If you see anyone else doing this, you might want to caution the organizers and diffuse the situation. If someone is impacting your fun or the fun of others, the organizer is going to be more than pop flyin' to do something about it, because they don't tolerate this behavior (plus, it could make people think twice about attending again). Be sure to shake your opponent's hand, and try not to play mind games with them. Mistakes are going to happen, but don't take things too seriously. That being said, if problems arise, feel free to call a judge just to make sure that you're fixing it right.

7. Have fun. There's going to be a lot of people of all ages at a prerelease, but it will still be about only 50-100 players max at the location. You might be able to meet a new friend there, and who knows, maybe you'll get the awesome card that everyone is talking about.

----

Pre-releases are amongst the easiest events to get into as you don't need cards or really too much experience with the game to play. If you've only played online before this, they're the perfect jumping point to getting to a physical event, and the organizers of pre-releases are generally people you'll see running other tournaments or local leagues, so you might be able to find out where you can go for more consistent gaming.

In any case, I hope some of you will be able to go and try it out. It's a lot of fun, and you'll never know what to expect. Even a crap deck could completely destroy one you'd think is better, either by luck or because a swarm of basics may be more consistent than a deck with a few evolutionary lines.

I will be trying to attend 2 events, and I'll be reporting my results from them. I hope anyone who does go will also report what happened, so maybe brink a notebook to take simple notes to remember things (not during the matches though).

I will also try to provide a basic analysis of this set once the cards are officially leaked on Saturday so we can see what to look out for when you're looking at all of these cards in front of you on the day of release.

And don't worry, I haven't forgotten about this thread, I've just been a bit busy. The draft tournament is still going... I think. Hopefully I can hear back with some results soon. :P

pop flyin' Gaming.

-Professor Kamak
-K-
ImageImage

Liraxus
a title saying "CLODS!"

Still gushing at that Metagross' moveset.

Post by Liraxus »

Oh woops, I meant 9 miles, the drive would probably take 1 hour.

And I can't wait to see what I get, here's to finding an EX!

And then I got a Team Plasma's Stunfisk

Liraxus
a title saying "CLODS!"

Re: Let's Discuss the Pkmn TCG with Prof. Kamak: Pre-release

Post by Liraxus »

LIRAXUS'S GRAND PLASMA FREEZE PRERELEASE EVENT ADVENTURE
(No pictures because lolnophone)

It started with us headed to the mall, we got a bit lost as the map didn't show the correct place for the comic shop(They had recently moved shops.), at the stand were a few posters for Jurassic Park 3D, and since they were free, I just took one, we started checking around where the hell the store was, we soon found it, and when we got there, the organizer didn't even show up yet, I just sat down and proceeded to play Platinum and talk with other folks. I didn't bring my collection which I sincerely regretted, as nearly everyone brought theirs, I did bring my 4 EX's and traded my Plasma Storm Articuno EX for a Cresselia EX near the end.

Soon, they arrived and after getting an ID, I signed up and waited for my first challenge, I was talking to some fine fellow who already went to a different pre-release event, he was a cool fellow, and had a few full-art cards that made me want to drool.

R-R-R-ROUND ONE
I was battling an adult who was completely new to the game, she had won as my hand really didn't have anything good, and she was able to get an Espeon out, the battle took a while, and we had to constantly help her understand the rules, she said I was the only one she beat, It didn't really bother me since I really couldn't blame my hand for having just a Kecleon.

R-R-ROUND TWOOOOO
This round was against someone who was actually pretty decent at the game, wanted to know what happened?
Sent out a strong pokemon and knocked me out while I had one card on the field, whadda quick loss.

R-R-R-ROUUUND THREEEEE
I was playing with an older man, about 25-30, he seemed nice and helped me a bit since I was still new to the real game than just TCGO, I was able to get a Metang out, which I used to knock out his Pokemon before he could get set up, I had won my first ever game, I was really bloody pop flyin'.

R-R-R-ROUND FOOOOOUR
This was the final round for the Juniors and Seniors, Masters were able to stay for one final round, and since I was master, I was able to stay for the 5th round, My opponent and I were discussing the generations of Pokemon, and complaining as to why everyone hated the 5th Gen just because of Garbodor and Vanilluxe, he beat me, but hell man was it great to meet someone who was kinda like me.

FINAL ROOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUND
I lost, plain and simple, he was able to get a Bisharp and Weavile out before I could set up, most of the match was just my Pawniard using Slash to wittle away at Espeon before he destroyed me.

In the end, despite my poor ration, I loved the event, I got a few comics, a big box of cards, and I even saw a Shiny Celebi that was worth like 20 dollars, I kinda half-regret not getting it...in the end it was a blast, can't wait to go to the next event.

The Cards
I didn't pull any EX cards, but I did get my hands on the entire Metagross line-up so I can actually use the pre-release promo, so far, I believe the wanted cards are Tornadus EX, and the set has a huge influence from the Eeveelutions, as most of the good cards were actually pretty daisies useful to use, I think my favorite is Espeon which can attack for 40 damage against ANY Pokemon on the field.

That's all folks!

Kamak
Riku's other favorite

Post by Kamak »

Hoooooooooly crap sandwich everyone, I have been busy and a thousand pardons for everything. I'm flaying myself as I speak for not being a good professor and calling you repeatedly to tell you things you already know. Also, I think I got robbed or something because all of the starters are missing.

ANYWAYS, let's get down to business. I'm planning a lot of updates and many of them are almost ready to go, but first, I want to use this post to discuss some stuff relevant to your interest.

With Pre-releases over with, there's only one more premier event going on until the big tournaments are underway. I'm talking about Battle Roads.

Spring Battle Roads 2013

Battle Roads are the most basic of the Premier Events (basically "larger scale official tournaments"). They are carried out over the course of 4 weeks (starting this weekend), with lots of events. Almost every decent sized league is able to carry out a Battle Roads event, so it shouldn't be too hard to find one.

Participating in an event gives you one play point and the possibility of winning a first, second, or third place card, exclusive to winning an event like this.

Participation is free, but you do need a legal 60 card deck, the know how to fill a deck list out, and whatever other counters and things you might want (damage counters, poison/burn counters, sleeves to keep your cards from being damaged, snacks, etc.)

Battle Roads does NOT have top cuts, so all players will play every round until a clear winner can be determined. Battle Roads used to be super competitive, but because of the loss of top cuts, they've mellowed out a bit. Do keep in mind though, this is the last time before Nationals that players have to get any Championship Points, so don't expect it to be a cake walk.

If anyone needs help with a deck or deck idea, I'll gladly help.

---------------

Now, for another matter. I've been meaning to address this for awhile, but I haven't really had it come up in the thread as a jumping point. Because people will have more time (and possibly opportunity), I think it's time to talk about buying cards.

Shopping Guide

When shopping for cards, there's very important questions to consider. If you're collecting, buying individual cards is probably not the best idea. You'll want to buy sealed product and take your chances. More often than not, they'll pay off in the long run, and extras can easily be sold off or traded to further complete your collection. If you're competing, it becomes a question of weighing whether it'd be cheaper (if price is a factor) to take chances at getting the expensive cards by buying sealed product and/or trading, or buying the cards outright.

Singles

When buying single cards (it may be hard to find them in person, and usually more expensive, but you can try, and they'll often do trades), it's important to price check multiple places, if free shipping is a thing (as it often is on places like eBay), use that to get the best deals. Otherwise, see which stores offer the best deals with shipping (prices usually aren't too different, but if you go with the best prices from 2 or more sites, you'll probably pay the difference in all of the shipping). When I was building my deck for States, I ended up buying exclusively from eBay due to prices (be sure to pay attention to their feedback!), which resulted in over 10 packages being on their way for just a handful of cards, but my savings were over $40 what I'd pay in popular stores.

Keep in mind though, if you're depending on cards to be to you by a certain time, plan far enough ahead where you won't be in a crunch for those cards. I had some cards that showed up late last time, but luckily they were just energy cards. It sucks to have to wait for cards, and that stress can be increased if you're depending on multiple packages coming, but working on a budget makes it necessary at times. Be sure to try to get cards in good quality. Damaged cards are often grounds for judges to worry about marked conditions, and no one wants to play with a badly bent up card either. Most sites sell fresh from pack, mint, or near mint cards for decent enough prices.

Sealed

When buying sealed product, there's a bit more to consider. If a store sells loose packs, unless they keep them behind the counter, there's a possibility that they might be scaled. Scaling occurs when people are able to weigh a pack and determine whether there are holofoils. They will then buy up all of these packs, leaving nothing but rares behind. This alters the pull rates of the cards and can often guarantee none of the packs will have something super rare. Some card game stores will also scale their packs, usually ones that sell the very rare singles. This is often harder to tell, but generally, if this is going on, people will figure it out eventually. Blister packs and tins are harder to weigh, but if you're looking to buy any of them, look for signs of tampering.

For the best bang for your buck, booster boxes are the best deal, and for the most part, it's pretty impossible to screw the odds on them (we'll discuss this later). 36 packs for $85-$100 gives you packs for less than $3 apiece (most stores sell packs around $4.15 now). Now, this is a large amount of cheddar to spend, and not everyone has that amount to throw at once, or needs that many cards (at least from that set). If you can go in with some friends, you can split the box and keep the savings (I know a group that puts $100 down per person, and each person walks away with 36 packs of their choice, usually 9 from 4 different sets). If this is not a good option, look into tins or multiple pack blisters, but like with singles, do your pricing on them and research what kinds of packs come in them, as they might be a mix of packs you don't really want cards from.

Now there are things to be wary of with booster boxes. Really cheap booster boxes, especially on eBay are often resealed and/or searched. This means people open them, take the packs they want, and give you 36 sealed packs of their choosing. They're cheap, but you're really getting the short end of the stick, especially as a collector. If they're offering loose boosters or the packaging looks weird, be wary of it.

In addition to, be wary of prices in stores that seem too good. If you go to a dollar store and find 99 cent packs or tins, check and see if there are any oddities about them. Chances are, these are convincing fakes, some are only different by a minor shade of coloration. Be sure, judges can and will spot any fakes, so don't get wrapped up in them.

Ultimately, when it comes to shopping, if the deal seems way too extremely good for you, it probably is.

------------

I hope this is seen as helpful. I'm going to try to attend all 5 Battle Roads in my area so I can qualify for Nationals. In the meantime, expect more updates.

-Professor Kamak
-K-
ImageImage

Liraxus
a title saying "CLODS!"

Post by Liraxus »

I'm still trying to pull out one of those rare cards, but on another note, I had a question pertaining to the older packs.

http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Card-Game ... et+booster

Christ that's a long link.

I want to know if any of these are legit packs, my mother surprised me and got a pack, but something feels off about the cards, can you explain anytihng about these and where I can get some legit packs if possible?

SaintCrazy
The Real Ghost Blues

Post by SaintCrazy »

I'm having a lot of fun with the TCGO.

You can unlock the basic starter decks, and every week or so you get a booster pack - all the cards you get are untradable though since they're free and not from a physical pack. Still, you can build up some interesting decks.

You can also get some packs from the Trainer Challenge apparently, I haven't gotten far enough to get those yet though.
↑ Let's kick the beat. ♫ (shuffle for best results) ↑

SaintCrazy
The Real Ghost Blues

Post by SaintCrazy »

So a friend got me a couple Plasma Freeze packs.

Anyone interested in buying a holo Plasma Thundurus?
I'll probably just keep it to stare at it otherwise, and the world of Ebay is scary.
↑ Let's kick the beat. ♫ (shuffle for best results) ↑

Liraxus
a title saying "CLODS!"

Post by Liraxus »

So my mom got me a Black Kyurem Tin from the Plasma Storm set....here's what I got

The tins mascots
Black Kyurem EX + Meloetta

I already have Black Kyurem EX, so I don't really mind, plus I already own a Meloetta.

PACK 1(Plasma Storm)
Reverse holo was a Sewaddle, rare was a Conkledurr

PACK 2(Boundaries Crossed)
Reverse holo was a Swanna, rare was a Camerupt

PACK 3(Dragons Exalted)
My favorite set, Reverse holo was a Gabite, rare was a Holo Altaria

PACK 4(Dragons Exalted)
Reverse holo was a Murkrow, rare was a-a-a-

Oh-oh my god.

As an added bonus, last sunday my mom got me a Plasma freeze pack with a Latias EX in it, was awesome, but wooow, I'm in love with my first Full-art card.