Bows and Gallows

WHY DOES THIS COMIC SUCK
GerbilCrab475

Re: Bows and Gallows

Post by GerbilCrab475 »

Why can't you just pick arrows back up? Tons of games do that.
Expecting a signature?
Too bad, Waluigi Time!

Transdude1996

Post by Transdude1996 »

GerbilCrab475 wrote:Why can't you just pick arrows back up? Tons of games do that.
Some games don't, strangely enough. Playing through XIII, you cannot pick up the arrows, or the throwing knives, once they've been used.

Airra

Post by Airra »

Eeeeww, those knives and arrows were touching the ground.
And you know what else touched the ground? The walls.
The walls are on the floor. Don't touch those things or anything they touch.
Don't blame me; I voted for Kodos.

Syl

Post by Syl »

Airra wrote:Eeeeww, those knives and arrows were touching the ground.
And you know what else touched the ground? The walls.
The walls are on the floor. Don't touch those things or anything they touch.
That makes... perfect sense. How did I never think of that before?

But then again, it is a waste of an otherwise perfectly good arrow/knife/other projectile that could be reused, so maybe video game protagonists should carry a can of Lysol or something.

Transdude1996

Post by Transdude1996 »

In Bioshock 2 you can pick up used arrows, but, then again, the protagonist is wearing a full-body suit.

Loyle

Post by Loyle »

I haven't practiced archery, nor am I particularly well versed in physics, but I imagine what would usually happen after firing a stick of wood at the usual forces one would do so to kill a thing, it would end up rendered in an unusable condition if not outright destroyed. In fact, I'm more certain it'd be easier to retrieve and reuse successfully fired arrows.

Again, not someone who has experience with launching arrows at things, or someone with command over the arcane numbers governing how the universe works. So take that with a grain of salt.
“The best way to get a right answer on the internet is not to ask the question, but to post the wrong answer.”
Kamak wrote:Staying fresh isn't about looking cool, it's about being safe.

Katarani

Post by Katarani »

Loyle wrote:I haven't practiced archery, nor am I particularly well versed in physics, but I imagine what would usually happen after firing a stick of wood at the usual forces one would do so to kill a thing, it would end up rendered in an unusable condition if not outright destroyed. In fact, I'm more certain it'd be easier to retrieve and reuse successfully fired arrows.

Again, not someone who has experience with launching arrows at things, or someone with command over the arcane numbers governing how the universe works. So take that with a grain of salt.
Now we're helping someone do their physics homework!

It honestly depends on how the arrow lands and what it lands AGAINST. If it's embedded several inches in a wall, it's probably not going to be easily retrievable unless the wall was made of hay or drywall or something similarly soft and pliable. If it's embedded several inches into a living creature, it's designed to break off, so as to keep the wound open. (Hunting arrows are brutal things.)

If it bounces onto the ground or falls short or wedges into a tree, it should be easy enough to retrieve.

Of course, then you get the sport arrows with fiberglass shafts and no broad head, those won't break nearly as easily but they also need much better precision (and/or luck) to get them to be lethal, since you basically have to directly skewer an organ or major artery.

There's also aluminum and carbon-shafted arrows, but those are generally not going to be something you can find easily in a post-apocalyptic zombie hellscape. (Citation Needed)

deskita

Post by deskita »

I've got two edits.

Usernamehere

Post by Usernamehere »

Fun fact, arrows were designed to break upon missing so shitter archers would give up and go back to milking cows or goats or whatever it is they have. I base this upon absolutely nothing, but it's an entertaining thought.

Anodomani

Post by Anodomani »

Me playing fire emblem.

Wyrdermake

Post by Wyrdermake »

Usernamehere wrote:Fun fact, arrows were designed to break upon missing so shitter archers would give up and go back to milking cows or goats or whatever it is they have. I base this upon absolutely nothing, but it's an entertaining thought.
The actual reason they broke was because you did not want to let the enemy archers pick them up and fire them back. You can look at this scholarly article if you don't believe me.

Tiedrich, Katie. "Archers and Fake Facts." On The Reality of Games 8th ser. 12.42 (1996): 42-18. Web. 5 May 2016.

Gamefreak

Post by Gamefreak »

I apologize for Entei's shitty appearance.
Image In case you haven't figured it out, I absolutely adore Persona 4.

EEXRaptor

Post by EEXRaptor »

Gamefreak wrote:entei edit
I apologize for Entei's shitty appearance.
The fact that Joel threw a quick ball well after he threw the first Ultra Ball is ripping me apart inside
TurboPunz wrote:Katie tweeted about drawing about tweeting about ketchup.
We need more layers.

Transdude1996

Post by Transdude1996 »

Here's an edit with some dark humor:

Gamefreak

Post by Gamefreak »

EEXRaptor wrote: The fact that Joel threw a quick ball well after he threw the first Ultra Ball is ripping me apart inside
Well, he didn't use his Master Ball so clearly he's not too bright.
Transdude1996 wrote:Here's an edit with some dark humor:
I never get tried of long-neck Caesar edits.
Image In case you haven't figured it out, I absolutely adore Persona 4.