Tech help general

How do I made forum
shazza
Future Farm Bone Overlord

Re: Tech help general

Post by shazza »

unfortunately laptops will never really be a good choice for gaming. the hardware just isn't really that strong and it's way less upgradable later. any particular reason why you need/want specifically a laptop? it'd be much more cost-effective and useful to buy a good desktop and a cheaper laptop if you need something portable for when you travel or something.
Image Image

Superior Bacon
Most Important Member

Post by Superior Bacon »

there's bodaciously nowhere in my apartment to put a desktop. i just don't have enough room for it. i know laptops aren't super good for gaming, but they can be okay, ya know? so 'good gaming laptop' isn't exactly correct. i guess it'd be more, 'good gaming, for a laptop.'
[5:06:23 PM] Yeili: this is kind of cool, i've beaten a murderer in mario party.

Syobon
+4 to defense

Post by Syobon »

Have you considered a mini-PC? Desktops can go as small as you want pretty much (see Raspberry Pi), it seems to me that if you have room to put down a laptop (don't actually put a laptop on your lap, thats bad for all sorts of reasons) you have room to put down a monitor. The PC can sit on the ground or wherever. You could even wallmount the whole shebang.

Superior Bacon
Most Important Member

Post by Superior Bacon »

i just keep my laptop on my bed. like i know desktops are better, but i just... i don't want one. i like having everything all in one place, and being able to carry it around, like for school or if i'm traveling.

like i don't need top of the line kind of stuff. i just need a new computer b/c this one is breaking and i wanna play transistor.
[5:06:23 PM] Yeili: this is kind of cool, i've beaten a murderer in mario party.

Riku

Post by Riku »

Mete wrote:That's a low-end APU which puts it on par with mobile i3's from a few years back, but it's better with workloads that involve graphics since it basically a CPU and GPU in one. I'd suggest checking if you can find a model with an i3-4000 series CPU first though, Intel's ahead of the game when it comes to mobile performance. Also, I've heard horror stories about HP's consumer grade laptops, but I have no personal experience with them.

What's the insurance about though?
Horror stories like what? Besides the hard drive crapping out in this one, I haven't had any problems whith the hardware that I've noticed.

Also, the insurance is more like an extension off of the warranty that covers all repairs up to replacement for up to three years.

Syobon
+4 to defense

Post by Syobon »

Superior Bacon wrote:i just keep my laptop on my bed. like i know desktops are better, but i just... i don't want one. i like having everything all in one place, and being able to carry it around, like for school or if i'm traveling.

like i don't need top of the line kind of stuff. i just need a new computer b/c this one is breaking and i wanna play transistor.
Don't put laptops on soft surfaces, they sink in a little and it covers up the vents causing overheating. Additionally, if you place them on cloth they will suck in dust like crazy.

Mete

Post by Mete »

Superior Bacon wrote:there's bodaciously nowhere in my apartment to put a desktop. i just don't have enough room for it. i know laptops aren't super good for gaming, but they can be okay, ya know? so 'good gaming laptop' isn't exactly correct. i guess it'd be more, 'good gaming, for a laptop.'
How about some of these?

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/

The Y50 looks like it could be a solid choice. You can look at some benchmarks of the graphics card (860M) here to give you an idea what to expect.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gef ... ,3800.html
RikuKyuutu wrote:
Mete wrote:That's a low-end APU which puts it on par with mobile i3's from a few years back, but it's better with workloads that involve graphics since it basically a CPU and GPU in one. I'd suggest checking if you can find a model with an i3-4000 series CPU first though, Intel's ahead of the game when it comes to mobile performance. Also, I've heard horror stories about HP's consumer grade laptops, but I have no personal experience with them.

What's the insurance about though?
Horror stories like what? Besides the hard drive crapping out in this one, I haven't had any problems whith the hardware that I've noticed.

Also, the insurance is more like an extension off of the warranty that covers all repairs up to replacement for up to three years.
From the feedback I've read on the internet, HP seems to fall into the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to the quality of consumer grade laptops between manufacturers. Personally, I only have experience with Toshiba, which I've been pleased with, so I'm not the best judge there.

Maybe if you could post 1 or 2 more laptops in your price range that strike your eye, I might be able to pick the best one out of the bunch.

Rinoko
Shipping Guru

You won't believe how long it took me to get to AZ here

Post by Rinoko »

I'm trying to use my computer at my grandparents' house, and my computer randomly and frequently gets disconnected from the Wi-Fi and then reconnected just as randomly and frequently. I've scanned my computer with AVG and Malwarebytes, nothing turned up. Is the problem with my computer or the router and is this something that can be fixed?
[Citation Needed] wrote:your superinsulatory properties have always been a founding tenet of our friendship

Riku

Post by Riku »

you can't just pick up sloth's internet from there? i thought the signal reached across the street.

Rinoko
Shipping Guru

I ain't no mooch

Post by Rinoko »

I can get it, I'd just feel weird about using it.
[Citation Needed] wrote:your superinsulatory properties have always been a founding tenet of our friendship

SaintCrazy
The Real Ghost Blues

Post by SaintCrazy »

Restart the router. Fixes like 99% of spotty WiFi connections.

If that doesn't work you may need to contact the cable company. If the router is in a convenient place, check to see if the lights flash off when the connection goes down and back on when it comes back up, if so then you know for sure that the problem lies there and not with your computer. Truth be told I hardly ever see connection problems that are the computer's fault and not the source.
↑ Let's kick the beat. ♫ (shuffle for best results) ↑

Syobon
+4 to defense

Post by Syobon »

Since it's wireless there might be any number of things interferring. Test with a cable to see if the problem persists.

YCobb

Post by YCobb »

I'm having a weird keyboard issue.

I can't press space while holding down either W or S. I know many keyboards have various buttons on the same circuit which keeps them from being pressed simultaneously, but this is different. If I hold down another key and then press space, the output looks like this: "ddddddddddd " Note how there are spaces printed after the letter. ]EDIT: whoops, the board trimmed the spaces down. Rest assured, there were several.]
If I hold down S or W and then press space, it prints out the Ws and then stops when I hit space. After about half a second, Windows plays a little blip sound. No space character is printed.

This has to be a screwed up setting somewhere. Any ideas? All I get from google is people asking about the regular version of this issue.
Since this is garbled English, please refer to the brutal attack of confusion.

TerraChimaera

Post by TerraChimaera »

My iPod is also syncing my dad's library how do I make it not do that
Valbrandur wrote:Drink milk for strong bone
^^El tumblo (upstanding members of society)^^

Mete

Post by Mete »

By not using iTunes. I always use Copytrans Control Center whenever adding music to my sister's iPod.

If not using iTunes is not an option, then I don't know.