The Current Events Thread

How do I made forum
[Citation Needed]
I'll cite your sources

The Current Events Thread

Post by [Citation Needed] »

Yeah, that's right. Want to talk about seismic activity? How about celebrities doing drugs? Dead politicians? Go for it.

It is currently estimated that the earthquakes and tsunamis in will cost over a billion dollars in damage in Japan alone.

MOD EDIT:
Hey peoples, this thread is getting a fair bit of attention, so listen up.
This is intended for discussion and sharing of current events.
I understand that this can cover a wide range of topics, but if you feel at some point you might offend someone (such as a discussion on abortion or religion), it would be best to take the discussion to taboo topics.
This is also a thread mostly used for serious discussions. Lighthearted news and articles are of course welcome, but be constructive and serious about topics that deserve it.
Have fun.
Play nice.
Last edited by [Citation Needed] on Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lordy wrote:i also fear you
Rinoko wrote:You old saggy titted witch

Komodoensis

Re: The Current Events Thread

Post by Komodoensis »

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE, CN.

Madican
No face

Post by Madican »

I select this one to post in.
Stuff goes here later.

[Citation Needed]
I'll cite your sources

Komodoensis wrote:THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE, CN.
Mine was made first.

So with the nuclear reactor under control, that takes out the biggest concern. Next is standard reconstruction of damaged property, and searching for missing persons, I guess.

Madican
No face

Post by Madican »

FireflyYoshi wrote:So wait, what happened? Where the two of you talking and one of you said "we should make a news thread" "yeah we should" ...

... and both of you run off to do at before each other?
Yes.
Stuff goes here later.

[Citation Needed]
I'll cite your sources

Officials say the tsunami triggered by the massive earthquake in Japan has killed one person, swept three others out to sea and caused severe damage to the harbor in Crescent City, near the Oregon border.

ABC affiliate KDRV confirmed the waves pulled the four out to sea late Friday morning. Two of the other people were found alive and one was still unaccounted for.

Del Norte County sheriff's spokesman Bill Stevens said most boats were pulled out of the harbor in preparation for Friday's tsunami, but 35 vessels that remained are crashing into one another and sinking.

The wooden docks also were breaking apart under the force of the waves.

Ablu2

Post by Ablu2 »

Komo came up with the idea, IMO, he gets to make the thread.

hotb
lord shitpost

Post by hotb »

Oh fuck the plant is leaking radiation apparently
100% Medically Accurate

Unbalanced

Post by Unbalanced »

Isn't this the same as the news thread?
You are now manually breathing.

Komodoensis

Post by Komodoensis »

Yes, I thought of the idea, CN agreed its a good idea, but he decided to make it when I was too.

So now we have two news threads.

I suggest CN forfeits, since it was my idea.

[Citation Needed]
I'll cite your sources

But I was the one who was all over the earthquake and tsunamis. You kind of just popped in at the last minute and said "this would be a good thread".

The 8.9 quake was the 7th largest in world history and the largest in Japan's recorded history.

[Citation Needed]
I'll cite your sources

Doublepost for reactor stuff:
TOKYO (Reuters) - Thousands of residents were evacuated from an area around a nuclear plant in quake-hit Japan after radiation levels rose in the reactor, but there was no word on whether there had actually been a leak.

Underscoring grave concerns about the Fukushima plant some 240 km (150 miles) north of Tokyo, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the U.S. air force had delivered coolant to avert a rise in the temperature of the facility's nuclear rods.

Tokyo Electric Power Co said pressure inside a reactor at its Fukushima-Daiichi plant rose after the cooling system was knocked out by the earthquake, the largest on record in Japan.

Kyodo news agency quoted the company as saying that the radiation level was rising in the turbine building and the pressure had risen to 1.5 times the designed capacity.

Experts said there could be leakage if water levels in the Fukushima reactor fell and the temperature of the nuclear rods rose, though this might not happen immediately.

"Even if fuel rods are exposed, it does not mean they would start melting right away," said Tomoko Murakami, leader of the nuclear energy group at Japan's Institute of Energy Economics.

"Even if fuel rods melt and the pressure inside the reactor builds up, radiation would not leak as long as the reactor container functions well."

TEPCO confirmed that water levels were falling but it was working to avert any exposure of the nuclear fuel rods.

"There is a falling trend (in water levels) but we have not confirmed an exposure of nuclear fuel rods," a TEPCO spokesman said.

Residents living within a 3 km (2 mile) radius of the plant were told to evacuate from the area, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano told a news conference. "The government is making every effort to restore the cooling system," he said.

Kyodo news agency said 3,000 residents were being evacuated.

Reactors shut down due to the earthquake account for 18 percent of Japan's nuclear power generating capacity.

Nuclear power produces about 30 percent of the country's electricity. Many reactors are located in earthquake-prone zones such as Fukushima and Fukui on the coast.

TEPCO had been operating three out of six reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant at the time of the quake, all of which shut down.

The spokesman added that there were no concerns of a water leak for the remaining three reactors at the plant, which had been shut for planned maintenance.

Fluffdick
fluffduck

Post by Fluffdick »

"If you're such a piece of shit that you're suggesting the tsunami is "payback" for Pearl Harbor, please don't talk to me, or anyone, ever." ~ Ryan Davis

Unbalanced

Post by Unbalanced »

No, I meant like there is actually already a news thread on the forum.

http://www.awkwardzombie.com/forum/view ... 65&start=0

Thought I guess it is pretty ancient now.
You are now manually breathing.

[Citation Needed]
I'll cite your sources

Oh, yeah. That died last May. Maybe a bit too dead for revival? I dunno. I don't like to revive threads if they've been dead for almost a year.

Ecuador issues tsunami alert; residents evacuated from coastal towns; No flights to and from Galapagos Islands.