The Current Events Thread

How do I made forum
BurntToShreds

Re: The Current Events Thread

Post by BurntToShreds »

And the issue with gaining privacy, security, or the ability to be used at various sites is that you will probably have to give up one of the three for the other.

For example, do you want trustworthy security? Then you might have to have some backing from federal agencies or businesses, so say goodbye to privacy. Privacy more your thing? Then you might not want to deal with any businesses or government agencies, the organizations with the greatest ability to protect and insure your assets.
Burn 'em to shreds, tear 'em to ashes.

Syobon
+4 to defense

Post by Syobon »

I don't think you can have a "secure" currency in the sense you guys are talking about. Material currency gets stolen all the time. I don't know the details of the heist you mention, but it seems to me the security of your bitcoins would depend on the security of your computer systems.

Madican
No face

Post by Madican »

Sure material currency gets stolen, but we're moving towards fully-digital. In the next ten years I see physical currency vanishing from circulation. And right now that currency when in digital form, like bank accounts, is protected and insured against theft. If a bank account is compromised the cheddar will be restored. Bitcoins can't do that because they don't have the backing required.
Stuff goes here later.

Brekkjern

Post by Brekkjern »

That is the entire point. If someone could influence either the value or the distribution of cheddar, then the currency stops being free. Also, your analogy collapses because the website that got hacked is comparative to a private bank with no government backing. If you print out your wallet on a piece of paper, there is no way to hack it. In other words, it's as safe as physical currency with the convenience of a digital.

BurntToShreds

Post by BurntToShreds »

Brekkjern wrote:That is the entire point. If someone could influence either the value or the distribution of cheddar, then the currency stops being free. Also, your analogy collapses because the website that got hacked is comparative to a private bank with no government backing. If you print out your wallet on a piece of paper, there is no way to hack it. In other words, it's as safe as physical currency with the convenience of a digital.
I think convenience can only apply to something when it's actually useful. I can use my credit/debit card to buy plenty of things online, but if I decide to buy some Bitcoins and use those instead, my options shrink by a whole lot.

Syobon
+4 to defense

Post by Syobon »

That's because it's not widespread enough yet.

Mete

Post by Mete »

LG Smart TVs collect information on you to sell to advertisers even if you disable the option, including information about personal files

If you're in the EU, this is apparently a human right violation. If you're American, touch luck, it's in the T&C.

BurntToShreds

Post by BurntToShreds »

Polar Bears are moving inland due to decreasing amounts of Arctic ice, which poses danger to the citizens of the town of Churchill, Manitoba, Canada.

Mr. Mander
how much is a score

Post by Mr. Mander »

Maybe with this we can finally get Bear Defense Force funding.

Syobon
+4 to defense

Post by Syobon »

You talking about this Mander?

BurntToShreds

Post by BurntToShreds »

The FDA is putting the screws to 23andme, a company that sells genetics testing kits. The gist of it is that they are either going to regulate the kits or ban their sale indefinitely.

It seems one of the main things that the FDA is worried about is the accuracy of the information and how people may react to this information. The issue I see is that the FDA doesn't take into account the idea of personal responsibility and rational thought. For example, a person may find in their 23andme report that they have a risk for a disease. I'm pretty sure the average person would seek out more refined details or extra testing from their doctor before deciding to go with preventative measures rather than follow a single test's results blindly 100%.

Kamak
Riku's other favorite

Post by Kamak »

You're speaking for the same people that go to Web MD and self medicate based on their suggestions to save cheddar on doctor visits.

Or who convince themselves that they have cancer and go to the emergency room over dizziness caused by dehydration.
-K-
ImageImage

BurntToShreds

Post by BurntToShreds »

A few serious hypochondriacs shouldn't be allowed to ruin something for everyone else.

Syobon
+4 to defense

Post by Syobon »

Ruin what? I wouldn't recommend genetic self-testing to any one, avoiding DNA contamination is quite hard and not something that should be left to amateurs, even if the kit contains proper DNA-solvents and instructions.

It would seem to me that it would only be frugal hypochondriacs in the first place who would be interested in this product.

BurntToShreds

Post by BurntToShreds »

People aren't testing themselves; it's a kit that you send back to 23andme's labs where they analyze the sample. I'm sorry I wasn't clear in regards to exactly what it is. It doesn't just test one's risk for diseases either, it also analyzes genealogy.