Health Thread: Questions, Concerns, and Discussion

How do I made forum
Nachalnik

Re: Health Thread: Questions, Concerns, and Discussion

Post by Nachalnik »

started overeating a lot all of a sudden and i don't know why

i think it might be because i'm not feeling so depressed any more but i'm not sure

SaintCrazy
The Real Ghost Blues

Post by SaintCrazy »

[Insert Fail] wrote:I've been trying to research which birth control would be best to start with, but everything seems to boil down to "Well everyone reacts differently so good luck!"

gibe opinions pls
If you're looking at the Pill (def the easiest and most convenient route IMO) you can just let your doctor figure out the best one for you based on side effects, your health history etc. As long as you can remember to take it every day it's super easy, I just take it first thing in the morning, so it was easy to form the habit.

My doc prescribed me a brand that was pretty basic, does the job just as well as any other but doesn't do any of the crazy "4 periods a year" stuff. The only way it really affected my cycle was make my time of the month come a lot earlier than it used to, it's on a much more regular monthly schedule instead of lagging behind like it would before.
↑ Let's kick the beat. ♫ (shuffle for best results) ↑

shazza
Future Farm Bone Overlord

Post by shazza »

i've been on three different pills - primarily for controlling my period which would be at least two weeks long and so heavy i'd pass out from anemia! :D i reacted differently to them all but your doctor should have a good idea of what will work for you. it is a bit of trial and error though. i was lucky that my second worked perfect for me.

i definitely think that any gyno is gonna want to start you on a pill because they're the least expensive, less "dangerous" and easiest/quickest to get off of if you want for whatever reason. its also a good idea of how your body generally reacts to the new hormones in general. i recommend taking it at first for at least 3 months so you get the feel for it.

everything below is based on other people i know's experiences with the other forms.

Depo: can't be used for more than 3 consecutive years due to extreme health issues. can make you gain weight and not be able to lose it. other than that i've heard it works pretty well and is fine for those 3 years. someone i know used it for 5 years when it was new and her body took several more years to return to normal (her hormones got all kinds of weird and she developed some mental issues from it.)

Implant: i'm currently thinking of getting this because i'm bad at keeping up with pills and i am pretty confident on my body's reaction. everyone i know whose used it has had no real adverse effects (weight gain, acne, etc,) so it seems pretty great. last for 3 years then you get a new one. its been in use for decades so they know how people react to it after prolonged use. also apparently a fun party trick to make it wiggle around under your skin.

IUD: 100% success rate afaik but apparently hurts a whole daisies lot at first and you can spot randomly for the entire time you have it. which is a huge massive no for me haha.

"Minipill": ive not heard a lot about this one but apparently you have to take it at the same time every day or it doesn't work right and it's one of those that makes you have less periods. personally i would be absolutely terrified of that and i'm bad at remembering to take mine at the same time every day (luckily mine has like a 5hr window before it stops working optimally.)
Image Image

[Insert Fail]
Let's talk about sex.

Post by [Insert Fail] »

Whoops, was going to type a post but Shazza answered most of what I was going to debate/ask questions about, yay!

I think I've been confusing the pill and the minipill, because I had heard about some pill needing to be taking at the same hour every day and that's the main reason I was hesitant about anything pill-form. Taking something daily is fine, but I'm fairly certain I'd screw up taking it at the same hour at some point.

I've heard the horror story about taking the depo shot three years, although it seems to also apply for the implant. Of the two I'd rather go for the implant, but it does depend on cost/insurance coverage (and like you said the doctor would most likely just put me on a pill to start with anywho). IUDs just freak me out so they're a no.

In the end I'll probably go pill > implant, if all goes well.

I am nervous about birth control because I don't like the idea of messing with my hormones, but the security it offers against pregnancy is big. I'm not so much concerned about the short-term effects as I am the long-term, i.e. if they'll cause any difficulties at having children way down the line. I don't think there's any conclusive answer to this, especially regarding the newer forms of birth control out there, but has anyone heard much about that concern?

There are too many new people on here.

[url="https://twitter.com/InsertFail"]Twitter[/url] | [url="https://www.twitch.tv/insertfail]Twitch[/url]

SaintCrazy
The Real Ghost Blues

Post by SaintCrazy »

[Insert Fail] wrote: I think I've been confusing the pill and the minipill, because I had heard about some pill needing to be taking at the same hour every day and that's the main reason I was hesitant about anything pill-form. Taking something daily is fine, but I'm fairly certain I'd screw up taking it at the same hour at some point.
Mine has a pretty big "safe" window for taking it every day, in fact if you skip a day under most circumstances you can just take it whenever you remember and resume your normal schedule. Some pills might be more forgiving than others, so again, mention your worries to the doctor, haha. But I know mine has the same effectiveness even if you're quite a few hours off (which is good for when I sleep in till noon as opposed to waking up at 7)
I am nervous about birth control because I don't like the idea of messing with my hormones, but the security it offers against pregnancy is big. I'm not so much concerned about the short-term effects as I am the long-term, i.e. if they'll cause any difficulties at having children way down the line. I don't think there's any conclusive answer to this, especially regarding the newer forms of birth control out there, but has anyone heard much about that concern?
Honestly, the hormones in most BC that I know of are just small doses of what your body produces normally, just administered at a different time than normal. For example, how mine works is on the first week, each pill has a tiny bit of hormones, on the second week it has a bit more, on the third week its even more, but on the fourth week it has none at all (since that's when you get your period, and the hormones from the week before cover you until then), they're just sugar pills you take so you keep up the habit of taking it every day.

I'm pretty sure studies have shown that taking BC pills doesn't have any effect on future pregnancies, even the super rare ones that happened while the mother was taking the pill (as long as they stopped once they found out). Of course, newer drugs, especially the more drastic ones that basically remove your cycle and stuff might not have been tested long-term very much. But most mainstream pills don't have huge effects other than preventing pregnancy, since they're just natural hormones that your body is already used to.
↑ Let's kick the beat. ♫ (shuffle for best results) ↑

shazza
Future Farm Bone Overlord

Post by shazza »

the pill has been in use since the 60s and there's been lots of babies born since then that have all been fine c: most of us were probably conceived when our mom's were on the pill or had previously taken it and we're fine right?

when i started taking the pill my mom told me that basically how you'll react to it (in general,) will be how you react to actually being pregnant, since yeah, they're just hormones our bodies produce normally. i'd also say that how you are when you're on your period is similar to how you'll act on the pill too, since its a simliar kind of hormone flux. i'm apparently going to have the best pregnancy EVER because i don't get sick or gain weight or anything but if my tits get any bigger i will throw shit ahaha. but in general it's not that big of a deal. some people who are anti-bc in general will tell you it permanently changes your body's hormone levels and blah blah but it's simply not true in 90% of the cases. in fact im just reading now that bc actually prevents tons of different kinds of nasty cancers. so there.

i actually read a site that said that being on bc changes the criteria women have for mates, and that they choose ones with more similar immune systems to their own (nature says we should pick ones different to broaden the gene pool,) and also that women will choose men that aren't "manly" and are more feminine so we'll have sickly, weak children :P i laughed for DAYS

fun fact: apparently one study found that women on the pill blink 32% more times than others.
Image Image

Mr. Mander
how much is a score

Post by Mr. Mander »

Aaaaalright, I am going to tell just about the weirdest medical story ever but I think I need to get a mystery solved.

When I was in 3rd grade, about 11 years ago now, I had this really weird issue with my wrist. It became very red and inflamed for several days and then, one day, this very strange white growth kind of pushed out. I was young, so I just panicked and tried not to look at it, and then when I examined my wrist again later, the mystery object was gone and I just had a bleeding wrist. A decade later and I still have a small round scar on my wrist where that thing came out, which is my only proof that the whole thing wasn't a crazy hallucination.

Now, I ask you, what the hell happened to me?

hotb
lord shitpost

Post by hotb »

what happened to the growth
100% Medically Accurate

Mr. Mander
how much is a score

Post by Mr. Mander »

Don't know. Like I said, I panicked and then it was just gone. No evidence but a hole in my wrist.

hotb
lord shitpost

Post by hotb »

my guess is that was your soul leaving your body and ascending/descending
100% Medically Accurate

Barabba

Post by Barabba »

天生萬物以養人

人無一善以報天

殺殺殺殺殺殺殺

Madican
No face

Post by Madican »

Mr. Mander wrote:Aaaaalright, I am going to tell just about the weirdest medical story ever but I think I need to get a mystery solved.

When I was in 3rd grade, about 11 years ago now, I had this really weird issue with my wrist. It became very red and inflamed for several days and then, one day, this very strange white growth kind of pushed out. I was young, so I just panicked and tried not to look at it, and then when I examined my wrist again later, the mystery object was gone and I just had a bleeding wrist. A decade later and I still have a small round scar on my wrist where that thing came out, which is my only proof that the whole thing wasn't a crazy hallucination.

Now, I ask you, what the hell happened to me?
Sounds like some form of cyst to me. I had something similar, only it was lodged in my wrist bones so it required surgery to remove the golf-ball sized cyst. They can be solid or liquid, smooth or jagged. From the sounds of it, though this is just my guess, your cyst was both solid and jagged, so it was able to pierce the skin and get pushed out.
Stuff goes here later.

Winchester

Post by Winchester »

Now I remember that I have one in my wrist and I try not to think about it and oh god cysts gross me out so much

Cori
jackie chan jackie chan jackie chan jackie chan jackie chan

Post by Cori »

When I was 15 I developed this weird red mark on my arm that my mom told me looked like a hickey and it didn't go away for years. Out of curiosity one day I tried to suck on it and several areas of the mark got more red but they never actually bled. What was that thing?
[8:18:42 AM] Joh Terraem: Cori, I've always found your encyclopedic knowledge of dicks to be quite charming and repulsive at the same time

Nachalnik

Post by Nachalnik »

does shaving your crotch make it easier for you to get spots down there or something?