The Strong, Silent Phenotype

WHY DOES THIS COMIC SUCK
Business Cat

The Strong, Silent Phenotype

Post by Business Cat »

July 17th, 2017

Maybe if we're already suspending our disbelief and/or understanding of biology for long enough to accept that Dominant Genes Are Good And Recessive Genes Are Bad, we should just ignore this part.
Metal Gear Solid

Airra

Re: The Strong, Silent Phenotype

Post by Airra »

He was just jealous of his hair all along.
Don't blame me; I voted for Kodos.

kazokuhouou

Post by kazokuhouou »

Honestly, for the longest time I thought he bleached his hair.

Marscaleb

Post by Marscaleb »

Actually if you watch the full set of briefing videos, it is revealed that Solid Snake cut and dyed his hair so that he would not look like Liquid.
Not sure if he always dyed it after and before that, or they just retconned that little tidbit out of existence...

StarryPS

Post by StarryPS »

Marscaleb wrote:Actually if you watch the full set of briefing videos, it is revealed that Solid Snake cut and dyed his hair so that he would not look like Liquid.
Not sure if he always dyed it after and before that, or they just retconned that little tidbit out of existence...
I thought all he did was cut it? I remember him telling Naomi "Pass me those scissors," but I don't remember him saying anything about dying it.

And doesn't that still not explain how Liquid has blond hair, since Big Boss would still have his brown hair?

aerion111

Post by aerion111 »

StarryPS wrote:
Marscaleb wrote:Actually if you watch the full set of briefing videos, it is revealed that Solid Snake cut and dyed his hair so that he would not look like Liquid.
I thought all he did was cut it? I remember him telling Naomi "Pass me those scissors," but I don't remember him saying anything about dying it.

And doesn't that still not explain how Liquid has blond hair, since Big Boss would still have his brown hair?
Maybe Big Boss also dyed his hair?

Petah-Petah

Post by Petah-Petah »

No really, why don't they?

3DS friendcode: 3093-7064-2767
Wii U username: Petah-Petah
Switch FC: 1503-9360-2243
PS4 user id: Pettah-Pettah

Naverick22

Post by Naverick22 »

Quick biology lesson on heredity:

before you're born, magic happens while chromosomes take traits from both your parents to make you who you are. Sometimes your hair color might look like your dad's but not your mom's or vice versa (or sometimes it's mixed). Since Big Boss is the sole parent he's technically both the mom and the dad, meaning since Big Boss has brown hair most of his children should also have brown hair, which is the dominant gene or likelier trait.

I say most because of Liquid. The reason Liquid has blond hair is because one of Big Boss's parents had blond hair. This makes Big Boss a carrier of blond hair even though he has brown hair. Since Blond hair is not the dominant trait coming from mama and papa Big Boss, this makes Blond a recessive gene or the unlikelier trait.

As a result, it's likely that Liquid does NOT have all of the dominant genes from Big Boss since Boss has brown hair while Liquid has blond hair.

But I have no idea how cloning works so can't say for sure if blond hair is the dominant or recessive gene. For all we know Liquid really could have all the dominant genes.
It's show time

Image Image Image

Trueblade74

Post by Trueblade74 »

Isn't this just the same joke for two MGS comics in a row?

And hasn't Last Days of Foxhound already done this point to death?

Liraxus
a title saying "CLODS!"

Post by Liraxus »

I usually just say this to anything relating to Metal Gear, but the answer for all questions is simply "Nanomachines."

StarryPS

Post by StarryPS »

Trueblade74 wrote:Isn't this just the same joke for two MGS comics in a row?

And hasn't Last Days of Foxhound already done this point to death?
I mean, I guess if by exact same joke you mean "MGS doesn't understand genetics" then sure? But I mean, both comics attack different parts of the game's plot, so eh. If it makes you feel better, just think of this as part 2 of the other comic.

Kitsune Dzelda

Post by Kitsune Dzelda »

I like how Katie draws Sniper Wolf. I want green lipstick like that.
WHERE IS THIS MERLIN I KEEP HEARING OF

What harm could come from imprisoning a hellinternet beast every night and making it hate humanity and what it stands for?
Then we can release it back into the wild.

Uejji

Post by Uejji »

From Metal Gear Solid
Liquid: Yes, twins, but we're not ordinary twins... we're twins linked by cursed genes. Les enfants terribles. You're fine. You got all the old man's dominant genes. I got all the flawed, recessive genes.
Liquid: They used me as a guinea pig! To create a phenotype in which all of the dominant genes were expressed.... to create you. I got all of the recessive genes!
Ocelot: Yes. The inferior one was the winner after all. ...That's right. Until the very end, Liquid thought he was the inferior one.
It is never stated that Liquid has anything other than Big Boss's recessive genes.

The implication is, of course, that Liquid has Big Boss's recessive genes, but he was mistaken that it made him the inferior clone. Ocelot confirms that Liquid, with the recessive genes, was the superior of the two.

Loyle

Post by Loyle »

That still doesn't make sense though...
First, you need to decide by what metric you're measuring inferiority or superiority, which is so subjective that it is meaningless.

It could be they sorted all the dominant genes into one and the recessive genes in the other then decided what those traits are and how they combined into the whole package and made predictions based on that and said "yep Liquid's the best boy".

If it's experimentally tested i.e. they put the kids through trials and liquid 'won', that'd be a bit more reasonable, but the fact that Solid beat him now tipped the scales in his favor of being best boy.

If they looked at all of Big Boss's genes and somehow could tell what traits were in those genes and put all the good ones in liquid and all the bad ones into Snake, It would seem unlikely that those would strictly fall into separate Dominant/Recessive columns.
“The best way to get a right answer on the internet is not to ask the question, but to post the wrong answer.”
Kamak wrote:Staying fresh isn't about looking cool, it's about being safe.

somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy »

For the sake of the narrative I always assumed that "dominant/recessive" were just their verbal shorthand for "genes that are more conducive to combat purposes" and not literal dominant/recessive genes.

I mean, it is a world with super science elements like cyborgs, AI, mechs and psychics, so a process to determine and manipulate the exact genes that would be involved in combat stuff isn't that outlandish. Expecially in the face of the heavier more ridiculous crap like "nanomachines" and "parasites" which are just straight up magical x-men powers.