General Game Gabbin'

Beep beep boop
Madican
No face

Re: General Game Gabbin'

Post by Madican »

12 annoyed me with its random loot chests, since most of it is shit (bodaciously, like a Knot of Rust).
Stuff goes here later.

Emperor_Z

Post by Emperor_Z »

I loved FFX (it's actually one of two Final Fantasy games that I actually finished, now that I think about it), so I was very excited to play 12 and got my mom to pick it up on launch day while I was at school. I quit not too far in because everything, story, characters, and gameplay, felt bland. Quite disappointing.

And yet, you want to know what the other Final Fantasy I finished was? It was 13. I didn't finish 4, 6, 7, or 9, despite them all being great, but I played 13 start to finish. I nearly 100%'d the daisies thing! What's wrong with me!?

Mete

Post by Mete »

About time.

Syobon
+4 to defense

Post by Syobon »

Based Yurop saves videogames yet again.

Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Mete wrote:Image

About time.
I'm not European, so I have no idea what an IAP is.
It's an original avatar, honest!

Here's my Steam profile.
(And yes, I change my name often.)

Oolrich

Post by Oolrich »

"In app purchase" I think
When you play the bassoon all life's other bassoon just seems to bassoon into bassoon

Mete

Post by Mete »

GOG is planning to get rid of their one world, one price policy where everything is priced in USD, and introducing regional pricing, supposedly to bring in more publishers. There's been a huge backlash about it on the forums and if this goes through, they'll probably lose a good chunk of their European market. I don't like it in the slightest, one of the reason I sometimes bought from GOG instead of Steam was because I didn't have to bother with the bullshit currency conversions (if you can even call $1=1€ a conversion) and the same reason applies to Humble Bundles as well. I've been an advocate for GOG for quite a while now and this is the first time they've dealt a dent on my support for them. They say they're going to stick to a fair model for their classic games (for example, $5.99 will be 4.49€) but there's still lots of room for publishers to exploit the system for future titles.
Maxaxle wrote:

About time.
I'm not European, so I have no idea what an IAP is.
In app purchases, which are included in the vast majority of "free" mobile games. Heck, I even tried the mobile port of Bard's Tale once, which is a 2004 cRPG. Despite costing some 5€, it had in-app purchases, which left me outright disgusted.

Mr. Mander
how much is a score

Post by Mr. Mander »

So I'm beta testing the new MOBA from the makers of HoN. It's called Strife, and shares many features with the upcoming Heroes of the Storm in terms of gameplay changes.

Considering HoN's lackluster showing in the past few years, I expected mediocrity from this, but surprisingly, it seems good. It's not flawless, but unlike my last beta test, Infinite Crisis, it isn't so appalling as to make me drop it after five games. there's a lot of potential I haven't explored so I won't give my full verdict until the weekend is up, but it's left a good first impression.

Raging Ghost

Post by Raging Ghost »

Leaving this here.
Prosecutor at the ''I Object!'' topic: http://www.awkwardzombie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3472

BurntToShreds

Post by BurntToShreds »

About time.
My guess is that, if this goes through it's going to bring back the old days where on the App Store there were "lite" versions of apps, basically demos, and then you could pay to unlock the full game.

I'm wondering how much of a hamper this will put on major free to play PC games such as League of Legends, World of Tanks, and DoTA 2.
Burn 'em to shreds, tear 'em to ashes.

hotb
lord shitpost

Post by hotb »

I can't believe this video doesn't have like a gorillion hits

100% Medically Accurate

Mete

Post by Mete »

After 80 hours/over a month, I'm finally done with Dragon's Dogma. I reached level 101 and cleared Bitterblack Isle twice and beat the absolute hardest boss. I really can't praise this game enough and I really recommend anyone who thinks they might like a long, "squad"-based ARPG with good combat and tons of difficulty to check it out.

BurntToShreds

Post by BurntToShreds »

I've been looking at Dragon's Dogma, but I'd like to know more about the strategy in the "squad" part of it. Specifically, how much micromanaging will I have to do to ensure that my party doesn't die instantly?
Burn 'em to shreds, tear 'em to ashes.

Raging Ghost

Post by Raging Ghost »

BurntToShreds wrote:

About time.
My guess is that, if this goes through it's going to bring back the old days where on the App Store there were "lite" versions of apps, basically demos, and then you could pay to unlock the full game.

I'm wondering how much of a hamper this will put on major free to play PC games such as League of Legends, World of Tanks, and DoTA 2.
Yep, guess I'll be done PC gaming on my laptop for a while...
Prosecutor at the ''I Object!'' topic: http://www.awkwardzombie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3472

Mete

Post by Mete »

BurntToShreds wrote:I've been looking at Dragon's Dogma, but I'd like to know more about the strategy in the "squad" part of it. Specifically, how much micromanaging will I have to do to ensure that my party doesn't die instantly?
Your pawns have what's called inclinations that dictate how they act in combat. Each pawn has two. So for example, a scather/guardian will first attack large enemies (scather) and secondarily do its best to protect you (guardian). Then you have go/help/come commands for when you need them to do just that. The system generally works okay but there are occasions where they really don't know what to do, such as attacking a chained, currently harmless cyclops when there are smaller enemies around that are an actual threat. They do however gain actual knowledge against enemies, so if you're fighting a lich and your mage pawn knows it's weak against holy, it'll enchant your weapons with holy if it knows the spell. Also, pawns hired from other players may have knowledge about enemies you're encountering for the first time and they'll yell useful tactics at you.

The main problem with the system is that in addition to being limited and expecting you to rely on the AI to do the right thing in a tight situation, it's never really explained properly. For example, your main pawn learns from your behavior and commands and might eventually switch inclinations. Help spam causes it to turn into guardian/nexus which are the two most useless inclinations, yet 80% of pawns have either or both of them because lots of people aren't very familiar with the system.