Level Playing Field

WHY DOES THIS COMIC SUCK
Ruduen

Level Playing Field

Post by Ruduen »

Posted November 9, 2020 at 12:00 am
Pokemon Sword/Shield

Wyndon is the biggest and most heavily-populated area in the Galar region, and they all live in reverence and fear whenever visited by children from the sticks who have somehow managed to interact with wild Pokemon without grievous injury.
Let's face it, the starter towns must be prime real estate for families with young kids.

FireballDragon

Re: Level Playing Field

Post by FireballDragon »

When I was a kid, I really wanted Pokemon to be real. Now I understand just how terrifyingly harmful to people and misbalancing to the ecosystem that would be.
I'm gonna be King of the Cartoonists!

Ruduen

Post by Ruduen »

Amusingly enough, the catch rates on most field Pokemon at full health using a normal Poké Ball aren't impossible. Based on Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon rates, it's about a 15% chance for both the Rhydon and Beartic. I wouldn't gamble with those odds, but someone who's been saving their allowance for quite a while could probably manage it. Of course, if the Sword/Shield rates are a lot worse, it's a bit iffier. You'd just want to be very good at running if it fails. I suppose it's not any worse than what you'd have to go through at a Safari Zone.

About a 1 in 7 chance of a strong starter, versus a 6 in 7 of a broken arm? I can imagine a ten-year-old taking worse risks.

craned3132

Post by craned3132 »

Ruduen wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:01 pm
Amusingly enough, the catch rates on most field Pokemon at full health using a normal Poké Ball aren't impossible. Based on Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon rates, it's about a 15% chance for both the Rhydon and Beartic. I wouldn't gamble with those odds, but someone who's been saving their allowance for quite a while could probably manage it. Of course, if the Sword/Shield rates are a lot worse, it's a bit iffier. You'd just want to be very good at running if it fails. I suppose it's not any worse than what you'd have to go through at a Safari Zone.

About a 1 in 7 chance of a strong starter, versus a 6 in 7 of a broken arm? I can imagine a ten-year-old taking worse risks.
Yeah, about that. In Sword Shield you can access higher level pokemons easily when you get to the wild area, but there's a catch. 2 actually.

They put a cap on the max level of pokemon you can catch that is tied to the number of badges you have.6 badges give you a level 50 cap.

If the pokemon you have out is lower level than the pokemon you're trying to catch, the catch rate is severely lowered.